-
Senior Member
registered user
dual boot woes
Hi Markus.....Wow you are pretty knowledgable with this stuff!!! I don't have a THOROUGH knowledge of this unfortunatly! I am trying to logically figure it out.
Well I would rather stay away from using NTLDR. I have always used LILO and I am more comfortable with messing with that than NTLDR.
OK so when I am prompted as to where I want LILO to go, I will choose MBR.
Here's my plan:
HDA1 for WINxp
HDA2 for KNOPPIX
HDA3 for SWAP
SO....I will then edit LILO.CONF to show this line: boot=/dev/hda
OK I think I see....I have to specify that in LILO.CONF. This part I am not clear on. When I install KNOPPIX and ask LILO to be written to MBR instead of LINUX partition, isn't that all I need to do, except for editing LILO.CONF afterwards to be able to boot winxp? I see where I have to put in boot=/dev/hda in LILO.CONF.....I understand that part.
As far as using CFDISK to set HDA1 to FAT32....that may be the only choice, then CONVERT my WINxp installation later on to NTFS....I remember doing that a while ago...no big deal.
So basically I just have to make sure in LILO.CONF that this line is in there: boot=/dev/hda
Let me know if I am making this more difficult than it really is!!! Sorry fo repeating myself so much......So to sum it up.....By choosing to install LILO to MBR, I do that and also put the boot=/dev/hda line in LILO.CONF.....You are not confusing, I just have a problem with needing very explicit instructions! OK so I will use KNOPPIX to partition my disk, and for my Winxp partition, using CFDISK I will choose as "type" "FAT32" then let Winxp format that partition when I am installing. Whew! bob
Similar Threads
-
By thebeing in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-29-2007, 11:22 PM
-
By outlawX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:42 AM
-
By Oceany in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:26 PM
-
By Shenr0n in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-08-2003, 01:32 AM
-
By wardialer in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Microsoft Mouse 2.0 Vintage with PS/2 Connection with Original Box
$80.00

Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other
$299.99

Vintage AutoCAD 2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code
$144.45

LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic
$59.99

MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$2500.00

Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info
$250.00

Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info
$250.00

Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector.See Info
$250.00

Microsoft Project 2000 Sealed PC Software Vintage Promotional Copy
$149.99

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ
$988.88