-
Senior Member
registered user
linux in general and obvious things missing.
I'm just looking for some opinion here. Have you noticed that linux in general just seems to be mising some obvious things? Like as far as I can tell, there's not "network wizard." There's no way to make your CD rom drive unmount automaticaly when you press the button on the drive. There's no way to change many drivers without recompiling the entire source code of the kernel. It just seems that these should be in there. I checked sourceforge and it doesn't even look like these things are being worked on.
Don't getme wrong, I'm not bashing linux, I love it for the most part. And there's some realy lick things included. Like apt-get. That is the most clever instalation method I've ever heard of. And anybody can shre their software that way because you can add sources. like SynCE, they aren't in any of the main apt-get repositories, but they have instructions for adding their server to the sources.list
Anyway, if you understand why these aren't there, or wish think something else that is obvious is mising, or not obvious and thankfully there, let's hear it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: linux in general and obvious things missing.

Originally Posted by
VeeDubb
I'm just looking for some opinion here. Have you noticed that linux in general just seems to be mising some obvious things? Like as far as I can tell, there's not "network wizard."
Tell me what it should do in your opinion and I might be able to point you at such a program (linuxconf?). Most networks nowadays are pretty much automated.
There's no way to make your CD rom drive unmount automaticaly when you press the button on the drive.
It exists, for example Red Hat will umount the CD (when not busy) if you press the eject button on your CD drive.
There's no way to change many drivers without recompiling the entire source code of the kernel.
This is irritating indeed. Sometimes it's "sloppyness" on the side of the driver programmer. As since it could also have been a module, and then could be compiled seperately (like for example the NVidia drivers).
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have a wireless router and I want to use my linux desktop as a the gateway for the internet with my other boxes running windows. There's another thread going but the best advice I could get was that this is REALY complicated and I need to enable NAT.
-
Linux as router
Apache makes a good 'proxy server', if the other boxes just want web (http) access
-
Squid is a proxy server, apache is a web server.
Similar Threads
-
By Jerunk in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 04:14 PM
-
By Mistshadow in forum The Lounge
Replies: 22
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:02 PM
-
By massai in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-28-2003, 02:02 AM
-
By estranged in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 08:40 PM
-
By Rubicant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99