Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problem getting STARTED even.....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4

    Problem getting STARTED even.....

    Okay - I have a computer that WILL NOT boot up. -
    Win XP -Pentium 4 -256mb ram- Nvidia something graphics-.
    Safe mode wouldn't even work. This computer has some pretty important school and work files on it. I asked around some different message boards, and tried a couple of things - nothing worked. Then someone mentioned Knoppix to save the files!! So I downloaded it : the file I downloaded from a mirror is called KNOPPIX-STD-0.1.ISO

    I burned said file, exactly as it appears, to a disc - changed the computer to read from the cd-cdrive (which is IDE), but nothing happened. I keep getting "no operating system found, hit F1 to try again".....

    What do I do now? Did I download the wrong file?

    PS - I basically wanna use this ONLY to save my files - so I don't want to get TOO involved (it seems quite involved/scary).

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problem getting STARTED even.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sirknot
    ....I burned said file, exactly as it appears, to a disc - changed the computer to read from the cd-cdrive (which is IDE), but nothing happened. I keep getting "no operating system found, hit F1 to try again".....
    Just what you mean by "exactly as it appears" isn't clear, but because you used this term my guess is that you did not burn the iso file properly. If, on the computer that you burnt it on (or any other working computer) you look at the CD from windows and see only one large ISO file on the CD rather than an entire directory structure, then you burnt it wrong.

    At the top of this page is a link to "Documentation". Follow that and read the Downloading FAQ. There has also been lots of discussion on this forum about how to properly burn under various burning programs, as well as lots of discussion about the many options that you have for file recovery once Knoppix is booted. You can find these thing with the Search function also at the top of the page. I would suggest good keywords to search for might be ISO, burn, Nero (or the name of your burning software), and after you get Knoppix booting "file recovery".

  3. #3
    Here is a nice step-by-step guide to burning CDs from iso files. It is different from the handy-drag-and-drop method that some programs use. If it is any consolation I bought PC doctor and then didn't bother to read the instructions on hos to burn a ISO CD. So I blew it, wasted a CD-R and learned my lesson.
    http://guide.pcbeginner.com/tips/ISO.htm
    Now if somebody could only tell me if it makes a difference whether I use the ISO or Joliet file names.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    So I blew it, wasted a CD-R and learned my lesson.
    That's why I use CD-RWs. They may cost a bit more, but if you mess up, then you can always change it. And if you don't need it anymore, you can delete it.

Similar Threads

  1. Just getting started
    By agentchange in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 12:40 AM
  2. How do we get started?
    By TheChemist187 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 05:13 AM
  3. 3.8.1 started locking up
    By atrick-pay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
  4. Help Getting started!
    By s10237 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
  5. Not a newbie but never really started either.
    By hokeypokey31 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 03:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB picture

Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB

$138.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 PC4-19200 M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q Server RAM picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 PC4-19200 M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q Server RAM

$199.00



LOT OF 2  Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG picture

LOT OF 2 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG

$199.95



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50