-
Re: Trouble with Knoppix 3.6 and Belkin F5D7000

Originally Posted by
jMon54
In that thread could you tell me exactly where things hang?
The name of the driver you are using and the version of the card you are using?
It does not necessarily follow that if you fail to get Knoppix to work with your wireless connection you have to go back to M$ -- your choice of course. There are many other fine distributions of Linux that are likely to work -- indeed one comes from your neck of the woods -- MEPIS.
Cheers,
Grant D. Vallance
I have tried using the driver that came on the cd "rt2500" and two I got off the ndiswrapper site "bcmwl5" and "bcmwl5a". The most recurring problem is when I get to the iwconfig part of the installation. Knoppix just does not see the card. (Windows 2000 has no problem with it, though the signal isn't very stong.) I have tried removing then reinstalling every driver but no success. I just downloaded Mepis and will give it a shot. The short time I have spent with Knoppix has given me a strong fondness for both Linux and this devoted community of users.
I am going to make an assumption that I hope will not bite me on the a**(US)/a*** (UK). That the American Belkin F5D7000 uses the same chipset as mine ... I.e. Broadcom
However, we still need to know the version of the card, since this influences whether one should use the bcmwl5.inf or the bcmwl5a.inf file. I don't think the rt2500 is correct, unless there is another chipset on board.
Also have you checked to see whether there is a bcwml5 file on the CD?
Oh dear, perhaps we should check what the chipset and version actually is... So what is the output of: [in a console as root user] lspci -v
That will confirm it, and whether Knoppix 'knows' about some 'card' on the pci-bus ...
I'll do this step by-step; so report back and then we can proceed.
Grant D. Vallance
PS. While I have never used WEP; I have found my Belkin F5D7000/7010 perfectly stable, contrary to pureone's experience. Most cards & ndiswrapper seem to have indigestion with respect to encryption in my experience!
Similar Threads
-
By AJones in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
-
By Mikejo in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-09-2006, 04:03 PM
-
By saltfog in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-15-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By csogilvie in forum Networking
Replies: 15
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
-
By zeze in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67

Trucozie Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Self-Standing Lightweight Stick Vacuum New Ope
$89.00