-

Originally Posted by
pureone
grant do you use wpa ? or no encryption at all? i wouldnt like to use no encryption at all. i have managed to get wireless cards working with no wep at all but thats not what i want so i have just stuck to ethernet untill theres better support for wireless cards with in the kernel.
the card i have made my attempts on i belive was F5D6001 but not 100% sure i could never get the driver files that the ndiswrapper site recomends so that could be one of the main reasons for no luck with it yet.
Pureone:
Currently, I do not use encryption at all, although that is about to change, once I have time to play -- sometime soon -- hopefully. [Anyone who attempts to write a Ph. D. with a family is mad! Ergo I am mad.]
However, how I do wireless at home has altered since I first started using GNU/Linux. So using encryption won't be via my Belkin cards and ndiswrapper.
A while ago I decided the easiest/best (although not the cheapest) way to connect all my computers which run M$ XP and GNU/Linux was to use two wireless routers connected via WDS. This means that all my computers are wired, but linked wirelessly (if you understand). I.e. upstairs I have my GNU/Linux box and M$ laptop connected to a router (#2), and this is wirelessly connected to another router (#1) downstairs which connects to the internet and another M$ box (for playing games). It functions well.
All the Linux Distros I have tried just "work" under the arrangement since the wireless side is taken care of by the routers and Linux is perfectly at home in a wired ethernet world
Hope that answers you question ...
Grant V.
Similar Threads
-
By AJones in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
-
By Mikejo in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-09-2006, 04:03 PM
-
By saltfog in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-15-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By csogilvie in forum Networking
Replies: 15
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
-
By zeze in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99