Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Too Many Irrelevant Search Hits

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    I didn't mean to insult your experience in doing searches. But since all of the forum subjects lists include the phrase "mark all topics read" and this seldom appears elsewhere, why do you not just force this string as a way to tell the search feature to only return subject pages? Like this, for example, to search for gentoo amoung the subjects.
    It took me a while to figure out what you were saying but if I understand you correctly you are telling me how to conduct a Google search, which I know how to do. I just wish I could search the same way within this forum. Anyways, thanks for your reply.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    you do use this search page dont you ? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php and not just the little box in the forum which doesnt do searches that well.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    [It took me a while to figure out what you were saying but if I understand you correctly you are telling me how to conduct a Google search, which I know how to do. I just wish I could search the same way within this forum. Anyways, thanks for your reply.
    No, I'm not really saying to do a Google search. I'm saying to use the normal search function at the top of each knoppix.net page. Yea, the search is powered by Google. And you could do the same thing from www.google.com if you use the Google syntax that tells it just to return hits from a particular domain. But personally I'm to lazy to do that, I would use the search link on the knoppix.net page, make sure the radio bitton selected to search only knoppix.net (unless I wanted to search the entire web) and type in my search. And it turns out that rather than "mark all topics read", the string "all topics" is unique enough to limit you to just subject searches. (Of course, now that I've used these terms in this thread, it will come up as a hit too if the other key words that you are searching for also appear in this thread, but that's the nature of searches).

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    you do use this search page dont you ? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php and not just the little box in the forum which doesnt do searches that well.
    I do now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. IP address search
    By linnerd40 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
  2. Search for a Presentationknoppix
    By Mind in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:02 PM
  3. Web search tools?
    By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision 5550 Xeon W-10855M 32GB RAM 512GB SSD Quadro T2000 Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Precision 5550 Xeon W-10855M 32GB RAM 512GB SSD Quadro T2000 Win 11 Pro

$329.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$319.99



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



HP Z2 G5 Workstation Xeon W-1250 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 4000 Win11 Pro picture

HP Z2 G5 Workstation Xeon W-1250 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 4000 Win11 Pro

$560.00