Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Too Many Irrelevant Search Hits

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    I didn't mean to insult your experience in doing searches. But since all of the forum subjects lists include the phrase "mark all topics read" and this seldom appears elsewhere, why do you not just force this string as a way to tell the search feature to only return subject pages? Like this, for example, to search for gentoo amoung the subjects.
    It took me a while to figure out what you were saying but if I understand you correctly you are telling me how to conduct a Google search, which I know how to do. I just wish I could search the same way within this forum. Anyways, thanks for your reply.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    you do use this search page dont you ? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php and not just the little box in the forum which doesnt do searches that well.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    [It took me a while to figure out what you were saying but if I understand you correctly you are telling me how to conduct a Google search, which I know how to do. I just wish I could search the same way within this forum. Anyways, thanks for your reply.
    No, I'm not really saying to do a Google search. I'm saying to use the normal search function at the top of each knoppix.net page. Yea, the search is powered by Google. And you could do the same thing from www.google.com if you use the Google syntax that tells it just to return hits from a particular domain. But personally I'm to lazy to do that, I would use the search link on the knoppix.net page, make sure the radio bitton selected to search only knoppix.net (unless I wanted to search the entire web) and type in my search. And it turns out that rather than "mark all topics read", the string "all topics" is unique enough to limit you to just subject searches. (Of course, now that I've used these terms in this thread, it will come up as a hit too if the other key words that you are searching for also appear in this thread, but that's the nature of searches).

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    you do use this search page dont you ? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php and not just the little box in the forum which doesnt do searches that well.
    I do now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. IP address search
    By linnerd40 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
  2. Search for a Presentationknoppix
    By Mind in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:02 PM
  3. Web search tools?
    By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Game Pack 5 On New 400K Double Density Disk picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Game Pack 5 On New 400K Double Density Disk

$39.99



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K  Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse  picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse

$1799.99