Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Too Many Irrelevant Search Hits

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65

    Too Many Irrelevant Search Hits

    Whenever I search in this forum I get tons of disorganized hits many of which seem irrelevant. Where can I find tips on how to get better search results?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    Yes, please answer him. I have the same problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    change the type of searches. for instance you can search just certain parts of the forums, search for certain peoples posts (authors mainly). or you can just click peoples profiles (say your looking for a certain post) and just have a look at all the posts they have made.

    phpbb search function for the forum is not that great but you can experiment with it to to get better results. you could even use google. the google bots tend to come here very quick and cache alot of topics.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Good suggestions, pureone, I would also suggest adding more information on your search querries...

    Like this:
    search for "root"
    search for "root password"
    search for "changing root password"
    ...etc...

    The more "details" you provide on your search, the lower your "hits" are going to be, and hopefully, the hits you do get, will be more closely to what you are looking for...

    Another example:
    search "video"
    search "nvidia"
    search "nvidia geforce4 mx440"

    the first will probably get you TONS of hits, whereas, the more "specific", last search, will possibly only give you 50 or so ( the nvidia card is a popular one, I even have it )

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    In addition to selecting good search terms, the typical Google search concepts apply:
    • Use a + in front of a term to force the term to be found.

      Use a - in front of a term to exclude a term. So if you are looking for network problems when Knoppix is not installed on a hard disk, you might try +network -install (although this is likely to miss some articles, as in this case someone may have used install in a reply and thus caused the article to be excluded. Still, it help for narrowing down searches that get too many hiits.)

      Use quotes to search for a phrase rather than individual words. "usb mouse" will find only hit with the phrase "usb mouse", where as usb mouse will find articles that include both words, not both words together (in the second case the words could even have been written by different posters).

      Capital letters match only capital letters, lower case letters match capitalized letters or lower case letters. dsl will get more hits than DSL.

      You can put OR between two terms to find articles that contain either, as in phlak OR helix.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    I have been running searches before Google was even on the web. I know a lot about the "how to" part. I just find searching this forum frustrating. I wish I could, for example, search just the Subjects. That would be very useful to me.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    I have been running searches before Google was even on the web. I know a lot about the "how to" part. I just find searching this forum frustrating. I wish I could, for example, search just the Subjects. That would be very useful to me.
    I didn't mean to insult your experience in doing searches. But since all of the forum subjects lists include the phrase "mark all topics read" and this seldom appears elsewhere, why do you not just force this string as a way to tell the search feature to only return subject pages? Like this, for example, to search for gentoo amoung the subjects.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    when the new version of phpbb comes out i belive the search function will be improved along with alot of other things but that wont be for a few months.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Sweet Harry

    Your search returned - 2 hits
    Whereas, a search for "gentoo" retuns - 45 hits

    I never thought of searching by subject line, but then again, sometimes I dont think the subject lines are very descriptive [weg] ( i.e. HELP! -=- or -=- Need Help, someone? )

  10. #10
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    .... but then again, sometimes I dont think the subject lines are very descriptive....
    Hi Cuddles, No, I agree with you there. My point was just that if someone did want to limit their searches to the subject pages they could do so with very little extra thought. And in my example I dropped the word "read" from the search string and it was still able to limit to just subject pages; I would be willing to bet with minimal effort I could find an even shorter unique string. So if anyone does want to do this it can be done.

    I noted one problem with my example search, but I consider it minor. If you follow the first link returned, you will (no longer) find gentoo on that page. But a little thought will explain that. We have posted so much in the general forum that the gentoo entry has moved to the next page since the search last indexed the pages. So a quick click of the next page link and you have it. Alternately, the search page gives you a good sample of the text for the entry in question. You can just grab a string from that find (such as mount AES256 homedir in Gentoo) and do a search for that string and you will find the article in question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. IP address search
    By linnerd40 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
  2. Search for a Presentationknoppix
    By Mind in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:02 PM
  3. Web search tools?
    By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00