Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 3.7 - Turning off the "failsafe" boot opti

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix 3.7 - Turning off the "failsafe" boot opti

    I recenty got the Knoppix 3.7 all burned to a CD...but I had some problem getting it running on my system.
    I ran it on a different computer, and it worked fine, but on my computer, with the default boot options (boot: ), it would look for the Knoppix cd in /dev/scd0. For some reason, this did not work, said it couldn't find the Linux filesystem.
    When I booted with "boot: failsafe", it skipped a bunch of hardware detection, but then successfully found the knoppix CD on /dev/hcd (or not sure if there was a 'a' or anything on that, but that's not important.
    My main problem is this: my USB mouse does not work in my new Hard disk Knoppix installation (dual booting winXP home and Knoppix), because it's not detecting USB (tells me it's skipping it "as I requested"). I had to borrow my brother's old serial mouse...since my mouse is a USB mouse (I hate having a usb mouse!).

    My question: how can I turn off the "failsafe" option, or make it detect my hardware again? I don't think the /scd0 vs. /hcd will be an issue, now that I'm not booting from CD anyway.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Check /etc/lilo.conf. Look for 'failsafe' in the line 'append=xxx xxx xxx failsafe xxx' and delete 'failsafe'. Then run lilo again to implement the changes. You will have to be root to edit the file & to run lilo.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7
    Thank you!
    I actually found out exactly what prevented my CD to boot, the DMA acceleration, so I booted with "knoppix nodma", and it works!

    That lilo.conf file will definitely be useful to me, though, thanks for pointing it out! Lilo seems to have put way too many Linuxes in there (seems to be different kernels...not something I really need), and put too many windowses in there (just FAT32 partitions). Anyway, it will be nice to get those out of there.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by crapszwei
    Lilo seems to have put way too many Linuxes in there (seems to be different kernels...not something I really need), and put too many windowses in there (just FAT32 partitions). Anyway, it will be nice to get those out of there.
    It does do that. I really don't understand why there is 'linux' which boots vmlinuz which is a link to vmlinuz-2.4 and another start option which boots vmlinuz-2.4 directly. It's time knoppix turfed the 2.4 kernel anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't boot without "failsafe"
    By imtiazahsan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 10:16 PM
  2. Was Busybox compiled with "large file system" opti
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 04:19 AM
  3. "Clean" Knoppix Boot on a preinstalled Windows XP
    By ruymbeke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 06:52 AM
  4. "failsafe" is NOT the same as "noxxx"??
    By qeldroma in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 06:28 AM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


10 Pounds Vintage Ceramic CPU Processor/ic chips Gold Recovery Computers Scrap picture

10 Pounds Vintage Ceramic CPU Processor/ic chips Gold Recovery Computers Scrap

$1999.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000 picture

Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000

$39.99



Vintage Coach 5209 Brown Leather BusinessTote Laptop Briefcase Y2K Shoulder Bag picture

Vintage Coach 5209 Brown Leather BusinessTote Laptop Briefcase Y2K Shoulder Bag

$150.00



Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage picture

Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage

$249.00



Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual picture

Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual

$75.00



PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop picture

PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop

$120.00



vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc picture

vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc

$69.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00