Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Ndiswrapper (WiFi)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Ndiswrapper (WiFi)

    As you may know quite a few wireless cards do not have native linux drivers that work with them. So people unfortunate enough to buy these cards with out reserching them first are stuck with ndiswrapper which wraps around the windows drivers for the card. However getting the drivers onto the computer is a hassle while the cdrom is being used by knoppix, and it's especialy anoying since you'll have to do this every time you boot. I've remasterd knoppix to include drivers for my wifi card but this really isn't that convinient or easy to do and it only works with my wifi card.

    So does anyone know if there is a way add onto a knoppix disk without remastering it? I've tried to burn a knoppix disk without finalizing it and then burning on a few extra files but the disk didn't work (I think there was a CRC check or something).

    If this could be done, any schmo could burn a customized version of knoppix with his perticular wifi drivers added to the disk. It would then just require a little init or hotplug script that looks on the disk for the users drivers and sets up ndiswrapper with them.

    So i'm thinking of creating a custom knoppix disk that's 10 megs lite with a script to install user added wifi drivers for ndiswrapper.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Ndiswrapper (WiFi)

    Quote Originally Posted by mlidman
    ....So does anyone know if there is a way add onto a knoppix disk without remastering it? I've tried to burn a knoppix disk without finalizing it and then burning on a few extra files but the disk didn't work (I think there was a CRC check or something). .....
    Unfortunately, when you add a second session to a bootable CD, the CD is no longer bootable. Thos is an unfortunate side effect of the way bootable CDs work and the way multi-session CDs work. It is not a Knoppix issue. So the second session approach isn't going to work.

    There are sopme tools availablwe for editing ISO files. However, so far the only high level tools I've found are for Windows and are pay-to-use (around $30 price). Low level editing of the ISO might work for simple edits of a menu or configuration file, but seem unlikely to work well for complex operations like adding files. So unless someone has some free iso editing software, the only solution short of a remaster would seen to be pay software under windows.

    I just had a thought - I wonder if it might be posiabe to add the files in the first session, the burn the bootable iso to the second. I have a lot of reservations thast this will work, but I have not tried it yet.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    I have had some success adding files to the knoppix iso. So if you've simply wanted to add files to the knoppix cd here is what ya got to keep in mind. If you've tried adding files before using a program like magiciso or winiso you'll get a checksum error when you try to boot. The problem is that in the boot/isolinux/boot.cat file has the wrong checksum in it. You'll need to update that file to get it to work. I don't think you can do that with winiso or magiciso. So here is what I did instead.

    1. Use winrar to extract the iso file to a directory.

    2. Add whatever files you want to the directory you extracted the knoppix iso to

    3. Then use mkisofs from cdrtools (there is a version of this for windows)

    here is the command line I used. I had extracted the cdrtools to d:/cdrtools/ and put my custom knoppix files in d:/cdrtools/cdiso

    Change directory to d:\cdrtools\cdiso

    Mkay now were ready to run mkisofs

    ..\mkisofs -o ../isoname.iso -R -J -V "Distro Name" -hide-rr-moved -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 32 -boot-info-table -b boot\isolinux\isolinux.bin -c boot\isolinux\boot.cat -A "Install CD" .

    The final . is important... you'll end up with an iso file called isoname.iso

    With this meathod I took knoppix 3.7 and added the drivers for my wifi card. Unfortunatly when I modprobe ndiswrapper everything crashed (but the wifi card like went on). Probobly because the ndiswrapper needs updating. It's version 0.8 on knoppix 3.7. ndiswrapper is upto 1.0 now

Similar Threads

  1. How to use ndiswrapper
    By 2k3autococker in forum Networking
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
  2. 'modprobe ndiswrapper' cannot find ndiswrapper module
    By Kaishain in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
  3. ndiswrapper
    By giant_toaster in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
  4. Knoppix 3.6 and WMP54G wifi by ndiswrapper
    By tlamik in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 05:56 PM
  5. apt-get & ndiswrapper
    By cyph3r in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks SRX300 Rev: A Network Switch picture

Juniper Networks SRX300 Rev: A Network Switch

$120.00



Juniper Networks SRX300 Rev: A Network Switch picture

Juniper Networks SRX300 Rev: A Network Switch

$120.00



Juniper Networks SRX300-SYS-JB Rev: A Network Switch picture

Juniper Networks SRX300-SYS-JB Rev: A Network Switch

$120.00



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99