Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Network now hosed on HDD partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    Network now hosed on HDD partition

    I have two IBM A30 laptops. Both dual boot between RH8.0 and Win2K Pro.

    I ran Knoppix 3.1 from CD on Laptop A a month or so ago and later noticed that the Win2K network adapter wasn't working anymore. It can see traffic if I put it in promiscuous mode, but it won't get an IP address via DHCP and setting a static IP address doesn't work either.

    After connecting a sniffer to the same segment, I saw NO traffic coming from my laptop. I tried to generate packets by telnetting to servers, pinging, even doing a release/renew on my DHCP address. Again, zero traffic. Not even an ARP request. The sniffer was working because I could see broadcast traffic from other machines.

    The goofy thing is that the Red Hat partition works fine. It gets an IP via DHCP and I can cruise the Internet without error.

    Today I downloaded and ran Knoppix 3.2 (from CD) on Laptop B. Immediately after booting back into the Windows partition, the same problem has now occured. The network settings for the Linux partition work fine, but the Windows partition can't transmitt.

    I can't imaine how this could be caused by Knoppix, but since I saw it happen twice, I can't believe that this is a random coincidence either.

    Any thoughts? I couldn't find anything that seemed to relate in the existing posts or through Google'ing, but maybe I'm missing something. If nothing else I can reinstall the Windows partition *sic*.

    -Don

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Warm or cold boot? Some hardware does not propperly reset on warm boot.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2
    Both. I have performed several reboots (both warm and cold) on both machines and they still will not transmit when booting Windows.

    But, as I mentioned, the Red Hat partition and Knoppix (booted from CD) both work fine. I'm going to perform a repair of the Win2K partition and see if that fixed the issue. I'll post a reply to let you know if it helps.

Similar Threads

  1. The 3.4/2004-05-17 Buglist is hosed
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 02:58 AM
  2. system hosed?
    By hardware_bum in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 05:11 AM
  3. The wiki is hosed
    By mzilikazi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 04:51 AM
  4. LCD is Fuzzy/resolution hosed
    By WinH8r in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 06:20 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Catalyst C9300L-48PF-4X-48-E V02 Port Full PoE+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst C9300L-48PF-4X-48-E V02 Port Full PoE+ Switch

$1900.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89