Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: USB not working

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8
    Hi OErjan,

    thanks for the palm hint, i'll try that out and post result.

    concerning the usb stick: i always inserted it after boot, with no success.

    concerning "tail /var/log/syslog/syslog": this does not exist on my computer. i was looking for these outputs and wondering where they go? there is a file /var/log/syslog but it is empty (0 byte size). unfortunately i don't know which installation i chose, it was not beginner, i think it was debian style but i am not shure (is there a third option?)

    once again: do you think the remount parameter error might be the cause of prolem?

    again thanks for your support!
    britt

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ouch, one syslog too many, sorry, /var/log/syslog was right.
    hmm. i have no hddinstall of debina at pressent. hm, does the CD work with your pen?

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    hmm i see no weird stuff ecept that sysfs bit.
    have you tried kernel2.6 (it is on the cd)
    actually it seems you both have mised about 2/3 of the info in dmesg i wanted.
    issue this as ONE comand ALL of it(copy paste?), then it would be nice to see the whole output..
    Code:
    dmesg|grep ub&&dmesg|grep sd&&dmesg|grep usb
    then i still want to know what version of hdd-installl you have. beginner? debian-style?...
    Apologies for the delay. I got sidetracked while installing the system to my HDD as a full dual-boot XP/Debian installation. I got trapped chasing the "missing FAT32 partition" mystery, installing and configuring the proper nvidia video driver, and trying to get my winmodem working. No luck on the modem yet, but I've finally had some success. Lilo works, and I can now boot into either XP or Debian with a 1440x900 display. My CDROM works, too. Haven't tried wireless or PCMCIA yet (in either XP or Linux...) ACPI is sort of functional, as has been reported elsewhere. I'm a pretty happy camper right now.

    (I'm using the 2.4.22 kernel.)

    I got back to testing the USB stick and, much to my surprise, it now works! The system autodetects the USB drive when I plug it in, and unmounts it when I remove it. It automounts as /mnt/sda1, but I don't get a desktop icon in KDE. (I'll chase the icon problem later, *way* down the line, after I learn more about Linux and KDE.)

    Here is the output from "dmesg|grep ub&&dmesg|grep sd&&dmesg|grep usb" after I insert the thumb drive:

    Code:
    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 00:50:50 Aug  9 2004
    usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1800, IRQ 16
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1820, IRQ 19
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1840, IRQ 18
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1860, IRQ 16
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
    usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.7-7 address 2
    Here's the output after I remove the thumb drive:

    Code:
    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 00:50:50 Aug  9 2004
    usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1800, IRQ 16
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1820, IRQ 19
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1840, IRQ 18
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1860, IRQ 16
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
    usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.7-7 address 2
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.7-7 address 3
    Notice the last two lines. You can clearly see the thumb recognized as it's inserted and removed.

    OErjan, many thanks for bearing with me on this problem. I only wish I could tell you what I did to fix it, but I didn't do anything other than installing the system to HDD as a Debian install.

    Best Regards,

    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. apt-get...not working????
    By fabiand in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 10:45 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
  3. Not working?
    By CyberShadow in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 07:22 PM
  4. apt-get down? plus, 3.3 not working
    By kpf8655 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 09:38 PM
  5. Sound working / not working on Knoppix 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72