I have the same problem, except using a Toshiba P25-S520 laptop and a Sandisk Cruzer Mini 512 MB flash drive, booting from the Knoppix 3.7 CD.
The flash drive isn't recognized either by hotplugging it or by inserting it into a USB port prior to a cold boot. The drive works fine in WinXP Home, SP2. I have the same problem when I insert the flash drive into any of my four USB ports.
"mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1" results in a message that says something like "/dev/sda1 isn't a block device."
I noticed that the following line appears in the startup message whether or not I have the flash drive installed when I boot - something like:
Code:
USB ports found, managed by hotplug: sync:[001 001 001 001 ]
Also, there is mention of hda and hdc initialization, but nothing about sda when I'm booting with the flash drive plugged in.
I would sure appreciate it if you could help me sort this out. I’d really like to be able to use my flash drive with Knoppix.
Many thanks,
Tom
Seattle
Note: the following snapshots were taken after a boot with the flash drive plugged in.
Partial output from dmesg:
Code:
.
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd994, last bus=2
PCI: Using configuration type 1
.
.
.
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE controller 00:1f.1
Transparent bridge - Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA/DB/EB PCI Bridge
.
.
.
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
00:00:1f[A] -> 2-18 -> IRQ 18 level low
00:00:1f[B] -> 2-17 -> IRQ 17 level low
00:00:1d[A] -> 2-16 -> IRQ 16 level low
00:00:1d[B] -> 2-19 -> IRQ 19 level low
00:00:1d[D] -> 2-23 -> IRQ 23 level low
.
.
.
PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
.
.
.
ICH5: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:1f.1
PCI: Enabling device 00:1f.1 (0005 -> 0007)
ICH5: chipset revision 2
ICH5: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1880-0x1887, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1888-0x188f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
.
.
.
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
libata version 1.02 loaded.
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
.
.
.
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 00:50:50 Aug 9 2004
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1d.0 to 64
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1800, IRQ 16
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1d.1 to 64
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1820, IRQ 19
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1d.2 to 64
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1840, IRQ 18
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1d.3 to 64
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1860, IRQ 16
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
ohci1394: $Rev: 1045 $ Ben Collins <[email protected]>
ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): IRQ=[16] MMIO=[c2014000-c20147ff] Max Packet=[2048]
sbp2: $Rev: 1074 $ Ben Collins <[email protected]>
ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io = 1)
ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[00023f434700067c]
.
.
.
PCI: Enabling device 02:04.0 (0000 -> 0002)
PCI: Enabling device 02:04.1 (0000 -> 0002)
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
cat /etc/fstab:
Code:
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
lspci -v:
Code:
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Capabilities: [e4] #09 [2106]
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 3.0
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 96
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=80
Memory behind bridge: c1000000-c1ffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e0000000-efffffff
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
I/O ports at 1800 [size=32]
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
I/O ports at 1820 [size=32]
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
I/O ports at 1840 [size=32]
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
I/O ports at 1860 [size=32]
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [58] #0a [20a0]
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=168
I/O behind bridge: 00003000-00003fff
Memory behind bridge: c2000000-c20fffff
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Bridge (rev 02)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at 1880 [size=16]
Memory at 40000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 18a0 [size=32]
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
Memory at c0000c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Memory at c0000800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 2400 [size=256]
I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go 5200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 40, IRQ 16
Memory at c1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0
0000:02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
Memory at c2014000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Memory at c2010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
Memory at c2014800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
0000:02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp.: Unknown device 7058
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 18
Memory at c2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 32)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 168, IRQ 16
Memory at 40001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=02, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0
Memory window 0: 40400000-407ff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 40800000-40bff000
I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff
I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 32)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 168, IRQ 17
Memory at 40002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=02, secondary=05, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0
Memory window 0: 40c00000-40fff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 41000000-413ff000
I/O window 0: 00004800-000048ff
I/O window 1: 00004c00-00004cff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
0000:02:06.0 System peripheral: Toshiba America Info Systems SD TypA Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff00
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at c2014c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
fdisk -l:
Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 9729 78148161 7 HPFS/NTFS
uname -a:
Code:
Linux Knoppix 2.4.27 #2 SMP Mo Aug 9 00:39:37 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux