Hi,
either open a root shell from the KNOPPIX menu, or issue "xhost +localhost" in another console
(and read the "xhost" man page)
Ciao,
Thomas
Hi
I just installed knoppix 3.7 on my h.d
I really like it, but I have just had my first problem using it
I was installing firefox and wanted to install it to /etc/firefox, but as a user i did not have permission to change that folder, so i tried to run the script as root.
I got an error message, and thought i was doing something wrong. However, I found out I get an error message whenever I try to open a window (sorry I dont know the exact definition) i mean, whenever i try to open a graphic applilcation. For example:
dsarmientos@box:~$ su
Password:
root@box:/home/dsarmientos# konqueror
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0.0
I also have another question though it is not a problem. I would like to change my lilo screen to have the windows xp boot option selected by default.
Thanks in advance and sorry for my crappy english :P
Hi,
either open a root shell from the KNOPPIX menu, or issue "xhost +localhost" in another console
(and read the "xhost" man page)
Ciao,
Thomas
There is some info on running x applications as root here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16894
You should however be able to do the install as root but actually run firefox as user, not root. How are you installing & why do you want to put it in /etc/firefox? Why not just apt-get install & let it install whereever apt wants to put it?
For ht elilo, edit /etc/lilo.conf, change 'default=' to Windows (name you use must match the 'label=' for that entry. Then run lilo to implement the changes. You must be root both for the edit and to run lilo.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage
$199.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99