You are so close. Just one minor mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by empress101
ok I tried your instruction, but it not work

---snip---

I get myself out of root and want back into KDE desktop were i started. So i do the:

echo 'DESKTOP="kde"' > /etc/sysconfig/desktop
init 2 && init 5

then computer flips to kde desktop
^--- This is where the mistake comes in


I open shell and do:

sudo bunzip2 /mnt/hda5/configs.tbz

then

sudo tar -rpPf /mnt/hda5/configs.tar /etc/sysconfig/desktop /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
( in your instructions you have sudo tar -rpPf /mnt/hda5/sysadmin/configs.tar the computer not like this complains about no file found. I fugure it is cus of the sysadmin. when i look no such file)
Wow you are so close, but that extra echo command you ran to get to KDE changed /etc/sysconfig/desktop so that the default desktop was KDE. This means that when you added /etc/sysconfig/desktop to the configs.tar file, it said DESKTOP="kde". There are two fixes:

1) If you boot the CD you already burned with
Code:
knoppix desktop=kiosk
it will likely boot into kiosk mode.

2) Add those two files back to configs.tar, but this time make sure that inside /etc/sysconfig/desktop it says DESKTOP="kiosk" before you run the tar command.