Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Mysterious X crashes with USB named as possible culprit

  1. #1

    Mysterious X crashes with USB named as possible culprit

    I've installed Knoppix 3.4 to HD -- it was the only one I had available, and my previous machine wasn't stable enough to download 3.7.

    I'm noticing that the system will seem fine, but at unpredictable times it will crash X Windows and revert to a login prompt. However, before I can log back in, some messages mentioning USB quickly scroll by and the machine won't let me pause and write them down.

    Incidentally, while the motherboard has USB, it's not in use -- nothing is connected to USB.

    At that point I usually power down. If I just use the reboot button on the front of the case I always get a kernel panic, but if I power down for several seconds, I can reboot.

    I have searched these forums but I haven't found an answer yet. Perhaps I will need to wait until it happens again and then write down the USB error message very quickly.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    The messages your seeing might be in /var/log/user.log or elsewhere in the /var/log files.

    Most if not all the stuff you see in a console is written somewhere.

    You can also do "dmesg" at a console but that doesn't always provide all the start up or error messages.

Similar Threads

  1. Mysterious monitor behavior just after boot
    By GottaBuild in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 12:24 AM
  2. Problem with hebrew-named files
    By wualla in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 02:38 PM
  3. Wanted! The mysterious openGogear... [SOLVED!]
    By WedDa in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 03:23 AM
  4. mysterious kickerrc?
    By jackiechen858 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
  5. Need help about reading folder named in chinese IN CDROM!!!
    By luhua in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 48 Core Unlimited User CALs CoA Authentic. picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 48 Core Unlimited User CALs CoA Authentic.

$266.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max UXG-Max picture

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max UXG-Max

$199.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00