Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Mysterious X crashes with USB named as possible culprit

  1. #1

    Mysterious X crashes with USB named as possible culprit

    I've installed Knoppix 3.4 to HD -- it was the only one I had available, and my previous machine wasn't stable enough to download 3.7.

    I'm noticing that the system will seem fine, but at unpredictable times it will crash X Windows and revert to a login prompt. However, before I can log back in, some messages mentioning USB quickly scroll by and the machine won't let me pause and write them down.

    Incidentally, while the motherboard has USB, it's not in use -- nothing is connected to USB.

    At that point I usually power down. If I just use the reboot button on the front of the case I always get a kernel panic, but if I power down for several seconds, I can reboot.

    I have searched these forums but I haven't found an answer yet. Perhaps I will need to wait until it happens again and then write down the USB error message very quickly.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    The messages your seeing might be in /var/log/user.log or elsewhere in the /var/log files.

    Most if not all the stuff you see in a console is written somewhere.

    You can also do "dmesg" at a console but that doesn't always provide all the start up or error messages.

Similar Threads

  1. Mysterious monitor behavior just after boot
    By GottaBuild in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 12:24 AM
  2. Problem with hebrew-named files
    By wualla in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 02:38 PM
  3. Wanted! The mysterious openGogear... [SOLVED!]
    By WedDa in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 03:23 AM
  4. mysterious kickerrc?
    By jackiechen858 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
  5. Need help about reading folder named in chinese IN CDROM!!!
    By luhua in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$199.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000MHz XMP CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000MHz XMP CMD16GX4M4B3000C15

$85.00



A-Tech RAM 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DIMM/2666MHz picture

A-Tech RAM 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DIMM/2666MHz

$50.00