Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix as Debian net installer?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix as Debian net installer?

    Does Knoppix have latent abilities as a CD bootdisk for doing a full Debian net install? Given the fact that Knoppix seems to have support for just about every remotely mainstream piece of hardware already compiled into it, it seems like a PERFECT platform to use as the starting point for a Debian net install (maybe overkill for some users, but definitely handy for users trying to do installations on old laptops, for example).

    So far, Knoppix is the ONLY distro I've found that actually knows what to do with the (admittedly old) PCMCIA ethernet card in the old laptop I'm attempting to repurpose as a ghetto-grade wireless access point -- a SMC 8020BT/T PCMCIA card using the smc91c92_cs driver (sadly, Knoppix 3.2 still doesn't include Atmel drivers for the Belkin F5D6050 that forms the second half of the equation, and the Atmel drivers' makefile understandably died a horrible death when "make install" tried copying the newly-compiled drivers to the CD-ROM, hence the need to install a full-blown distro... but that's another story...).

    I've tried the various net installer CD bootdisks mentioned at debian.org, but none of them recognized my ethernet card, rendering them mostly worthless as tools for doing a net install. If worse comes to worst I guess I can spend tomorrow downloading all the Debian ISOs at work, but I have to admit I like the efficient elegance of the net install idea... downloading only the files actually needed for the installation instead of settling for Redhat's generic i386 code on 2 disks or blowing 2-3 hours over the span of a day and more than a half-dozen CD-Rs just to get the hundred megs or so of 586-optimized and router-related files I care about that are spread across 5+ gigabytes of files on 7+ disks of the full Debian distro...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Knoppix as Debian net installer?

    Just make a partition, mount it, do a:

    debootstrap stable /mnt/<yourpartition>

    Don't forget your kernel...

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Will debootstrap copy all the basic drivers that is needed including things like network/wireless etc.?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    How come I become a KNOPPIX master when all I have done on this forum is asking how to solve my problems ?
    Not the most difficult of titles to obtain is it?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    Re: Knoppix as Debian net installer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    Don't forget your kernel...
    ??? do I have to do something special for the kernel? Isn't the net installer supposed to identify the CPU and pick the right one... or at least ask me at some point whether I want a 386, 586, or 606 kernel?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3
    OK, I screwed up. I did a search on Google to verify that "2.4" "kernel" and "debian" all appeared on the same page and took a reasonable-looking excerpt as all the proof I needed to proceed with confidence.

    What I didn't notice was that 2.4 isn't the kernel used by default. 2.2 is. Oops.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I tried :

    deboostrap sarge /mnt/test

    and see lots of error. Does it matter ? The reason I tried to use sarge rather than woody is that it seems that only sarge release has 2.4.20 kernel.

Similar Threads

  1. KNOPPIX INSTALLER :P
    By dr_s99 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:23 PM
  2. knoppix-installer: debian vs knoppix install? which one?
    By torchZ06 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 06:39 PM
  3. knoppix -> debian-like -> debian
    By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
  4. Debian-installer beta 3 released
    By aay in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 07:43 PM
  5. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95