Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix CD 3.6 Issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix CD 3.6 Issue

    I'm new with linux, and I'm just so tired of Windows, anyway, I download the file (699MB) and burned it to a CD, fit perfectly, but when I put the CD in the Drive, and restart, it just boots up as Windows XP Home SP2. I have partitioned my drive(42GB, along with an 80GB) but I don't know what to do next, help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix CD 3.6 Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by eXploit
    I'm new with linux, and I'm just so tired of Windows, anyway, I download the file (699MB) and burned it to a CD, fit perfectly, but when I put the CD in the Drive, and restart, it just boots up as Windows XP Home SP2. I have partitioned my drive(42GB, along with an 80GB) but I don't know what to do next, help is greatly appreciated.
    You most likely never even checked the md5 sum and burnt the file incorrectly. See the documentatuon link at the top of the page and read the Downloading Faq. You could also search the forums for the many many times we've discussed how to butn an iso file in the past.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Can you just help?

    Man, can you just help me out? I've spent at least 8 hours today doing this. I am so frustrated, and am only 13, and I really want Knoppix. So if you could, guide me through this :P

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you read the links brelow (i have taken some qoutes from them) you might figure it out.
    there are LOADS of documentation here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page
    i think you are mainly wanting this
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ
    and to be preciseQuestions 3 and 5
    3 Q: What are these strange MD5 files that accompany the ISO CD images?
    A: The files with the .md5 extension contain checksums for the actual CD ISO images (http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/iso). A checksum is a "matching number" for checking files. One can verify that the file matches its original down to the smallest detail. When you download both the ISO image for the CD and its corresponding .md5 file, you can verify that your download was complete and that the contents are unchanged by typing "md5sum -c filename.md5" under Linux/Unix.

    Further information about MD5 and programs for various OS's can be found at LinuxISO.org (http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html) and The MD5 Protocol Documentation (http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/). You can download a Windows™ version at this site (http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml).
    and
    5 Q: I have downloaded the ISO file, now what ?
    * Windows quick answer: You will need one 700M blank cd. Use a program such as Nero burning rom. You can get a free trial of Nero from their site (http://www.nero.com/en/index.html). To burn with this program, skip the wizard and choose File>Burn Image. Select KNOPPIX_Vxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.iso file,>Burn.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    I thought I had done a pretty helpful job in telling him where to find the faqs and exactly what faq to look at. Do you really think it's a positive thing to cater to his insistance that he's not going to read the materials he was pointed to and expect others to find what he needs in them and post excerpts or expect people to type up more documentation that duplicates what is already there?

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.1.1 partimaged issue
    By rjb982 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
  2. knoppix 5.01 networking issue
    By xeriphism in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 03:49 PM
  3. Knoppix 4.0 DVD HDD Install issue
    By pt-1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 01:00 AM
  4. Knoppix WLAN issue
    By hmeyer in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 10:56 AM
  5. issue with knoppix 3.4
    By ChronusDark in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00