Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: LTModem & Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14

    LTModem & Knoppix

    I have Knoppix 3.1 installed on a Toshiba laptop. KDE 'control centre' reports I/O 1080-1087 & 1400-14ff used by Lucent LT Winmodem so Knoppix has found the modem & it is one which is supposedto be supported by LTModem drivers. KPPP reports 'modem is busy' (doing what??) in /dev/ttyS1. I have downloaded ltmodem-2.4.20-8.26a9_i386.deb & 'installed' it using KPackage & it has produced /lib/modules/2.4.20/lt_modem.o & /lt.serial.o but it doesn't seem to have helped connect to the modem. Documentation which comes with the package doesn't help, it just says run ./ltinst2. There is no /ltinst2 anywhere. So I have downloaded ltmodem-8.26a9 package & opened it. It has an /ltinst, a /build_module and a /build_deb . Trying to run any of them returns 'permission denied'. How am I denied permission? I am root. I thought root could do anything.
    What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    ltinst2 is probably not executable, so you will have to make the file executable with a command like:

    chmod a+x ltinst2

    This command will change the executable permissions to allow all users to execute it. This assumes ltinst2 is in your current directory, then you can execute it with ./ltinst2


    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14
    Ok, I tried that. still permission denied.
    Has anybody out there actually gotten a winmodem working? How did you do it?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9

    LTmodem

    I have'nt got it to work with Knoppix, but in any other distro I got the package and built the drivers. It goes thru a pile of checks and builds for your system.

    Your problem may be the symbolic link of /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem but using the package it will create the link.

    I found with Knoppix tho that I got a kernel mismatch problem and have'nt tried again yet.


    roadie

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14
    Using the package??? My problem is how do you 'use the package'. I've 'installed' it with KPackage, looked for any instructions, tried to follow the instructions (e.g. run the non-existant ./ltinst) searched for more instructions, searched this forum for winmodem & ltmodem & not found anyone who successfully installed it & I'm all out of ideas. What do I try next?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9

    Winmodem

    I have'nt checked the LTmodem site in a long time but there should be a .tgz or .bz2 file on it. Thats what I use, use Midnight Commander to extract the files then cd into the directory & run ./build module.
    Not dead sure on that, I'm not on that machine, but you'll see all the files, ./ltinst is in there.


    roadie

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14
    I can't believe it! I actually got it to work! I had already DL'd the ...tar file & extracted it some time ago but the ./ltinst wouldn't run ('permission denied' see above). I have NO idea why. Anyway, I re-copied the ...tar to /root, extracted it there & everything seems to have run through ok. ./ltinst2 is made by build_module & doesn't appear unless build_module is successful. Anyway, so far so good, I hope. Thanks for the help.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxAmateur
    I can't believe it! I actually got it to work!
    Your Winmodem really works now? Could you please share with us so that we can Winmodems too?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1
    Maybe you weren't able to run the script because the partition where it was located was mounted as "noexec", so there wouldn't be any way you could make it run.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    Ltmodem works

    I should have found this thread before posting a new one...
    Anyway, can you please see my message at the Lounge thread?
    "Lucent winmodem may work with KNOPPIX CD".
    Anyone else who was successful in getting ltmodem to work, please make us know!

    (please note the BIOS fine-tuning, especially when the modem is ONBOARD)

    Andreas

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



256GB Lot 8 x 32GB Samsung DDR4 PC4-2933Y M393A4K40DB2-CVFBY ECC Registered DIMM picture

256GB Lot 8 x 32GB Samsung DDR4 PC4-2933Y M393A4K40DB2-CVFBY ECC Registered DIMM

$1599.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95