Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Newbie User needs help ;)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    5

    Newbie User needs help ;)

    Hello Linux Gurus,

    I'm currently running a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop, and have been trying to use Knoppix 3.7 on a live CD.
    Although it works, and I must say that once I resolve this niggling issue I will probably end up a convert to Knoppix, I have an annoying issue with the graphics display.

    I can't get it to run above 640x480.

    If there is a work-around already posted or in a FAQ, I have been unable to find it, so sorry if its been posted and I've just been a complete newbie in not finding it

    As for the graphics card model it is an Intel 82845GM Graphics Controller.
    If there is any other information needed to help resolve this issue, please inform me, and I shall post it asap.

    Thanks for your time, and I'll appreciate any help or insight you can give me.

    Paul Edgington

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    13
    I have to type:
    fb1024x768

    then my intel boots good.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    5

    Thanks.....but!

    I have tried using the fb1024x768 and it comes up with an error, with a message something like "You tried to pass an undefined video number".

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    5
    Just a quick update.

    I've tried all the cheat codes I can think of, and still nothing so far.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    5

    Wooohooo!

    I cracked it :P

    What it seemed to be was that my BIOS version was a bit out of date, and Intel has changed a few things involving the graphics controller.
    So if anyone else has the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1100, download the A32 bios revision

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Good work! Stick around here. your critical thinking skills could be an asset to us pioneers of bootable linux CDs!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 05:35 AM
  2. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  3. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  4. Added Another User but New user Cannot WebBrowse
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
  5. How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS

$59.99



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage picture

Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage

$39.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested picture

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested

$28.49