Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Making the Live CD use less space? is it possiable?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9

    Making the Live CD use less space? is it possiable?

    Hi all, firstly if any one can help I’ll be great full!

    Now let me tell you my story….

    I have an old laptop which has no hard drive so I decided to turn it in to a digital picture frame, (like this http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/defaul...JunktopRevival ).
    However because I don’t have a hard drive I decide to us the ‘Knopix Live CD’ (with the sideshow back ground), everything works fine, but my problem is the ‘Live CD’ is 700MB which leaves me with no space for pictures, so I was wondering is there anything I can delete like some programs I don’t use and replace them with pictures and then burn the CD? Or is their any other ‘Live CD’ that will run without a HD but uses less space on the CD? Can any pro’s recommend anything?

    I’ve taken every thing out of the laptop i.e. floppy, battery, speakers and I’m only left with the motherboard, CD-Rom, mouse pad, keyboard, and display.

    Thanks in advance

    Yong La (Happy New Year Everyone!)

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Making the Live CD use less space? is it possiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by yongla
    Or is their any other ‘Live CD’ that will run without a HD but uses less space on the CD? Can any pro’s recommend anything?
    There are plenty of live CD's that are smaller in size. DSL is only 50 megs, and there are some even smaller. A good list is linked to in the first post in this forum. On the down side, as far as I know, any will require either remastering or at least the ability to edit the ISO and add more files if you want to include extra stuff on the CD. I would be interested in hearing how you modify any ISO to fit your needs.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83

    Re: Making the Live CD use less space? is it possiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by yongla
    ... but my problem is the ‘Live CD’ is 700MB which leaves me with no space for pictures, so I was wondering is there anything I can delete like some programs I don’t use and replace them with pictures and then burn the CD? Or is their any other ‘Live CD’ that will run without a HD but uses less space on the CD? Can any pro’s recommend anything? ...
    You can always remaster, there is a whole forum dedicated to this topic. You might start with Knoppix and remove things or with DSL and add things.

    Cheers,

    --GN

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the reply!

    OK right now I'm downloading 'Luit Linux v0.4'. Its only 50Mb so I have more then enough room for a few pictures.

    I've edited ISO files before using 'Magic ISO Maker'.

    Remastering the CD would be the best soulution but only if i had the time to read the whole forum.
    I take it Knoppix dont have a basic verson of the Live CD then?

    Yong

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by yongla
    Remastering the CD would be the best soulution but only if i had the time to read the whole forum.
    I take it Knoppix dont have a basic verson of the Live CD then?
    The HOW-TO has been slightly modified and it is easier to follow. Check it out in the Documentation section of the site.

    Good luck!

    --GN[

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2006, 12:23 AM
  2. Knoppix Live -> Install / Reccomended disk space
    By inflames989 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 05:54 AM
  3. Making a live Hard Disk
    By bardinjw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 05:39 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
  5. Tips for making a Live php application CD with Knoppix?
    By garubi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 08:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99