Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting problem: "hde: drive not ready for command"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5

    Booting problem: "hde: drive not ready for command"

    I am a neophyte when it comes to LINUX. I do use it occasional for programming, etc..., but I never had to configure anything.

    I have the iso I burnt to a CD, which I am trying to boot and run. I have WindowsXP installed on my first partition of my first drive. I have a Maxtor 200GB ATA 133 drive which is connected to an ATA PCI card. It does see my drives because I see them listed and their info.

    When the system boots I type expert and see what is going on and I wrote down this info:

    hde: pio
    hde: host protected area => 1
    hde: status timeout: {busy}
    hde: drive not ready for command
    hde: 398297088 sectors (203928 MB) w/ 1819KiB cache CHS = 155114/16/63

    What is going on and what do I do? I did read some of the posts on here, but none of them were the exact same as my situation.

    Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5

    Figured it out...

    I figured it out myself. No thanks to you.

    It is amazing how people will not help others if there are post related to a topic. I understand if there are numerous postings on a same exact problem, but I searched for hours and found NOTHING exactly like my situation.
    None of their solutions worked either.

    I did a crash course on UNIX reading a ton of material until I knew UNIX wel enough.
    My Comp. Sci. degree came in handy.

    Hopefully, in the future, you can help people rather than ignore them or belittle them because not everyone will have an education I have. All i needed was a quick and simple answer to save me time.

    Maybe someday people will learn to help people.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, since you neglected to post the answer to your problem so that others with the same problem who find your post might find an answer, I take it that you are really flaming yourself.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting problem: "hde: drive not ready for command"
    By MrBigTime in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM
  2. "Drive not ready for command" error?
    By mco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:16 PM
  3. CD boot hangs on "hde: drive not ready for command"
    By bladeraptor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 12:11 PM
  4. LiveCD 3.3 boot fails with "drive not ready for command
    By creicks in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 02:04 PM
  5. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$1649.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF picture

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF

$57.99



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95



SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB picture

SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB

$34.99