Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Boot Not Working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    Boot Not Working

    Hi,

    I'm sorry about this and I know this is probably very noobish, but your help will be appreciated greatly. I just downloaded Knoppix to see what linux is like without the hassle of partitioning my hard drive and dual booting and for some reason it isn't working. I unzipped the download and burnt the files onto a cd. I turned my computer on and set the bios to boot from cd and restart and it comes up "Boot from cd:" on the screen, after this I thought knoppix was meant to boot up, to my dissapointment xp just loaded up normally afterwards. I thought it might have been the pc, so I tried it on my laptop and the same thing happened. I then proceeded to download a different version of knoppix and it did the same thing. There is probably something blatant that I am missing out here, and I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with my hardware.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Boot Not Working

    Quote Originally Posted by McRockson
    .... and for some reason it isn't working. I unzipped the download and burnt the files onto a cd. I turned my computer ......
    You didn't burn it right. Usually I can figure out what someone did wrong from their post, but your statement that you unzipped the download bewilders me, as it is not a zip file. In any case, see my first response to this post (note that you're not the first person to ask this today).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    winrar makes iso files appear as zip files.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by pureone
    winrar makes iso files appear as zip files.
    Yea, it does, but there are a lot of things to consider if that is the case. You should still spot the difference in the file explorer unless you leave file extensions hidden. But even if you do hide the extension in explorer, the view from inside winrar still shows the iso extension, and says "Extracting from ***.iso" if you actually do try to rip the files out of the iso. I guess that's what happened here, but it's hard to understand how someone missed this repeatedly, particularly after he knew he had a problem somewhere.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by pureone
    winrar makes iso files appear as zip files.
    I was up all last night and only had about 4 hours of sleep the night before, so I'm running a little slow, but actually winrar does not cause iso files to appear as zip files. If you have the awful mistake of hidding the extensions or if you just look at the icons and don't read the extension, it makes iso files look like rar files. So if he had said "I unrarred the download and burnt the files" then it would have been clear what he was doing wrong. And if he downloaded the file from a mirror he should have seen that he wasn't downloading a zip there as well.

    I do think you're right on what happened, but I can't figure out why he thinks he has a zip file rather than either a rar file or an iso file.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    yeah are you right i never said it correctly, winrar makes iso appear as rar files not zip files. i dont know if winrar allows you to actuly unzip(unrar) the file. but im sure this is what the person did so i guess the best thing for them would be to read how to burn knoppix correctly.

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...C_now_what_.3F

Similar Threads

  1. Keyboard after boot not working.
    By james_steward in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 06:12 AM
  2. Boot from CD not working
    By neotek in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 01:46 AM
  3. 3c509b card not working at boot time
    By ashes in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 11:33 PM
  4. ALSA working but not when started at boot-time
    By cYmen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 08:46 AM
  5. (SOLVED)USB MOUSE DETECTED DURING BOOT , NOT WORKING ON KDE
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 06:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop picture

READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop

$299.00



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25

Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive 77711800 CDC

$89.66



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots picture

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots

$850.00



Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS picture

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS

$35.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite A Series picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite A Series

$250.00



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37



VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED picture

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED

$500.00