Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: disable automatic Knoppix user

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    disable automatic Knoppix user

    I was so impressed with Knoppix 3.7 that I trashed Red Hat 9.0 and installed K 3.7 to my hard disk. I have a few questions:

    1. How do I disable the automatic login on boot of the user Knoppix? I created another user for myself and would like to create addtional users for my family but everything I've tried defaults to boot and auto-login of user Knoppix.

    2. I changed root's password but su - automatically gives me root access. I'd just like to tighten things up user-wise with my fresh installation.

    So far, K 3.7 is very impressive. Thanks!

    hcd

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47

    Re: disable automatic Knoppix user

    Quote Originally Posted by hcdunlap
    I was so impressed with Knoppix 3.7 that I trashed Red Hat 9.0 and installed K 3.7 to my hard disk. I have a few questions:

    1. How do I disable the automatic login on boot of the user Knoppix? I created another user for myself and would like to create addtional users for my family but everything I've tried defaults to boot and auto-login of user Knoppix.

    2. I changed root's password but su - automatically gives me root access. I'd just like to tighten things up user-wise with my fresh installation.

    So far, K 3.7 is very impressive. Thanks!

    hcd
    What kind of installation you had? Was it using "knx-hdinstall" or using the "tohd" cheatcode?

    Please explain in detail...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    "knx-hdinstall" is the command I used to install Knoppix 3.7 to my hd.

    Thank you for replying.

    cd

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Looks like you did a knoppix style install. You should choose a Beginner or Debian style if you want multiuser. Shah posted a solution how to add login to a knoppix style install a while back which you could search this site for. Personally I always do a Debian style install which means that when you edit configuration files, the changes stay across bootups without any tinkering.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    Yep...I went back and did the Debian install and I now have more control. This is exactly what I was looking for.

    Thanks raj1478 & Markus for the replies to my question.

    cd

Similar Threads

  1. recover automatic login as Knoppix user
    By trubadix in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
  2. Correct way to disable DMA in knoppix 3.6 ??
    By metavoid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 09:43 AM
  3. Source code used for Knoppix automatic hardware detection
    By Nikolay in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 04:34 PM
  4. How do you disable APM after a Knoppix hd install?
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 04:35 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge T420 SFF 2x E5-2430 v2 2.5Ghz / 64gb / H710 / 8x Trays / 2x 495w picture

Dell Poweredge T420 SFF 2x E5-2430 v2 2.5Ghz / 64gb / H710 / 8x Trays / 2x 495w

$394.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge R720 Server 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz 64 GB RAM No OS No HDD Read- picture

Dell PowerEdge R720 Server 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz 64 GB RAM No OS No HDD Read-

$239.95