Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix Wireless

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix Wireless

    I am using a Toshiba laptop. *I have an Orinoco 802.11b wireless card here plugged into the laptop. *It works perfectly with Windows. *In fact, when I went to my friends house, who has no encryption on his wireless network, my network card automatically worked fine with Knoppix there!! *Here the name of the network is 2c8313 and the password is c8313.
    How do I tell it that in Knoppix? *I have tried all of the network configuration settins. *I have eth0 and eth1 in the list and i try configuring it. *I've tried using and not using DHCP. *I go to terminal and type netcardconfig to get that. *I try typing su to log in as root, then typing wlcardconfig. I fill in everything (at least I think it is correct) yet when I open the Mozilla browser it cannot connect. I tried going to the WaveLan settings, same problem. Don't forget-it automatically worked perfectally at my friends house who has no encryption, and I do not want to turn off encryption on my router. *I am new to Linux. *What should I do? *

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    wlcardconfig is a front end for iwconfig.It sets up your ssid,channel,etc.
    To get an ip,you still need to run netcardconfig,afterwards.
    as root
    wlcardconfig
    netcardconfig
    The above apps are knoppix specific.
    I usually use the following commands instead.They should work
    on any distro.
    As root
    iwconfig eth1 essid "yourssid" mode Managed channel 6 key XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX # key in hex
    pump -i eth1 #if you are using dhcp
    pump -i eth1 -s #should give you some info

    Change the above to reflect your setup.You can run iwconfig with no options
    to figure out which is your wireless interface.

    If you have the time,from an xterm
    man ifconfig
    man iwconfig
    man pump
    man route
    man resolv.conf
    It'll pay off in the long run.

    Good Luck && Have Fun

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    thanks..but

    thanks! however, i am not using HEX, i am using ASCI. The password is "c8313" so how do i type THAT in instead of the XX-XX-XX.... etc?
    thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    i guess you would just do.

    iwconfig wlan0 key "c8313"

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    The answer to this question is in the iwconfig manual.
    man iwconfig

    iwconfig eth1 key s:c8313

    I believe you'll have better results using the hex string,however.
    If you go into the password setup of your wireless ap,there should be
    four hex strings,one of which is being used.
    That's the string you want.
    That's how mine is anyway.I was unable to connect using
    just the password,btw.I tried,just before posting this.

    YMMV

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ghaze
    The answer to this question is in the iwconfig manual.
    man iwconfig

    iwconfig eth1 key s:c8313

    I believe you'll have better results using the hex string,however.
    If you go into the password setup of your wireless ap,there should be
    four hex strings,one of which is being used.
    That's the string you want.
    That's how mine is anyway.I was unable to connect using
    just the password,btw.I tried,just before posting this.

    YMMV
    so should i type the following:
    (the NAME of my network is 2c8313, the pw is c8313)

    iwconfig eth1 essid "2c8313" mode Managed channel 6 key s:c8313
    pump -i eth1 #

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix and Wireless
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 02:09 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
  4. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  5. No wireless extensions with Zonet USB wireless w/knoppix 3.4
    By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99