Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
so... while we are all talking about star gate... whats star gate about???
Not an expert, I dont watch it much, but... here is my best shot...

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis, are two sperate "stargates" ( a stargate is a large "ring" with cryptic hyroglyphics around the outside of it, possibly from the alien civilization who created them, and of which, we dont know who they are, or where... possibly, when one of there worlds was dieing, they used a stargate to escape death? But, we dont know this )

The premise of the shows is to use a "stargate" to connect with another "stargate" - to traverse space, posibly even time - to the other location. I.e. SG-1 can "connect" to "atlantis" and people, or things, can be "transported" to both locations and back...

From what I know about the shows; they can find "new" stargates, and explore them, or use "old" "known" stargates to do things there... Its kinda like the whole "Star Trek" thing, except they dont need a ship to go there. From my "vast" non-knowledge of the shows, I am not even sure if they can "control" the stargates, or if they can "randomly" just connect where they want, without "human" intervention, thus adding a sense of "new-ness" to the show; e.g. "Where are we going today?"

From what I can tell, Stargate SG1 located the Stargate Atlantis, and now has "spawned" off a second series on its own... Again, kinda like the Star Trek - Next Generation and Star Trek - Deep Space 9

Correct me if any of my details are wrong, I dont propose to be a "follower" of SG's