Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help remastering Knoppix 3.7, KNOPPIX file too small

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Help remastering Knoppix 3.7, KNOPPIX file too small

    Hello,
    I'm using the Klaus scripts to remaster Knoppix 3.7.
    I created a remaster directory on a hard drive. As I settle in on the desired package content for the disc, I have repeatedly cycled through:
    - chroot into the remaster
    - use apt-get to install or remove some packages
    - use the scripts to generate compressed filesystem, write ISO

    This USUALLY works for me in the sense that I end up with an .iso of the correct size (about 650 MB in my case) and a disc made from the .iso boots correctly.

    However, I have occasionally ended up with .iso files that are MUCH too small (like ~200 MB instead of ~650 MB). In the past, running the scripts again to make a new compressed filesystem and make a new .iso has resulted in a correctly sized (and functional) .iso. It seemed to help to have the internet connection active when running the 'make compressed filesystem' step. (I always say 'yes' to cleaning up the remaster).

    Now I'm happy with the package content but CANNOT get a full sized .iso file. When the compressed file system is being created, it appears to end normally with messages indicating that there are about 29500 65536 size blocks (about 1.8 GB) and an overall compression ratio of 35%. So the resulting KNOPPIX file should be about 650 MB. But when I go look at the KNOPPIX file in the remaster directory tree, it is way too small (150 to 300 MB file size). The file size varies from one attempt to the next.

    Any ideas as to what would cause this and how to deal with it?
    Any suggestions for further debug ?

    I have tried running the Klaus scripts both from the console and from within KDE. My most recent attempts were from the console where the re-apperance of the gui/menu obscures any error information that may have been output.

    I suspected that insufficient swap space could cause this, but I still get the problem with a 2.5 GB swap file.

    Thanks for Knoppix. Thanks to Klaus. Thanks for any advice.

    Eddie

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    update

    Here's some more information.
    I tried a few more times, running the knoppix-remaster script from a shell in KDE, and repeated the problem several times. In each case, the last info in the terminal (after the compression completes) says that a process was 'terminated'. (It gives a process number, so presumably one of the commands in the Knoppix-3.4.mkcompressed script is getting 'terminated'.

    I had been using the 2.6 kernel (for this boot and many previous attempts). Not knowing how to debug a 'process terminated' situation, I tried booting with the 2.4 kernel. Running with the 2.4 kernel, I was successful in my first attempt to create a compressed file system. It is a sample size of one, but it worked....

Similar Threads

  1. Small file from Knoppix 3.7 wanted
    By VASKO in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 05:13 PM
  2. Small remastering help needed
    By Godji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 04:56 PM
  3. Remastering Suite V1.01 released! Easy Knoppix-Remastering
    By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
  4. Remastering - syslinux/boot.img file
    By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 11:22 PM
  5. Damn Small Linux remastering problems
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 09:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$305.99