Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Emergency advice needed

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    Emergency advice needed

    Hello there, I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but I've been doing a lot of searching for any issue that might help me.

    I use Gentoo Linux as my OS.

    This is the problem: -

    For my A level coursework I have been given the task of creating a system, unfortuanatly the computers at college only have MS Access installed (even though I pleaded for some MySQL/PHP support) so this is what the project has to be based on. Usually at this point everyone will probably suggest using "crossover office" which, unfortuanatly for me, doesn't want to work, it doesn't do anything when you try to install Office XP, it just stays at the "Installing DCOM95" bit, or sometimes gets past that but just stops on the "updating windows installer" bit. It doesn't hang however, it just stays at the same bit, no error message or anything! I've even left it for about 3 hours running, but the same thing happens

    After consulting the people at Crossover, they said they do not support Gentoo for obvious reasons.

    I'm now in the process of quickly thinking up some solution to rectify this. As I use a resier4 filesystem, people have stated that I shouldn't cut my root partition to make way for a Windows one. I'd agree with them on this as I am in great risk of losing data.

    Anyway.

    After looking on these forums, I feel I might have a possible solution, which is why I am posting this.

    Is it possible to use Crossover Office with a Knoppix live CD?

    I know it's a long shot, but I have seen it mentioned on these forums.

    Thanks for any help that is received.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    i donno i would say look to see if theres a .deb package. why dont you just use open office if your just making documents.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    The project I am dealing with is an MS Access Database with frontend which cannot be used with OpenOffice etc.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ossover+office

    The topic above contains something interesting, the final reply says something about 'pointing' to a home directory?

Similar Threads

  1. Emergency!!! Please Help
    By kooladi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 12:42 AM
  2. Emergency ! KIndly help Fast.. A call to Tr TOo ..
    By mohit.jain.india in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 04:29 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
  4. Sound Advice needed - XMMS and GAIM
    By rusty in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 05:25 AM
  5. Newbie basic advice needed
    By ellen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT

$225.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ picture

Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ

$799.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00