Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How would I repair the master boot record with knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    How would I repair the master boot record with knoppix?

    My friend's computer (running 2k pro) is having some lovely problems right now; I dont know what he did to it but it refuses to go into the recovery console, and wont boot normally. In Knoppix I can see that his files are still intact, so it seems it could be that the master boot record is corrupt. Though I'm no stranger to unix, I've never had to run a fdisk or fixmbr equivalent command on them... simply because they just dont have those problems... ever. So, how would I fix his harddrive through the console or otherwise in Knoppix? I'm stumped, and he needs those files.

    Oh yeah, and it didnt recognise the wireless card, so he's without internet atm.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47

    Re: How would I repair the master boot record with knoppix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ripshaft
    My friend's computer (running 2k pro) is having some lovely problems right now; I dont know what he did to it but it refuses to go into the recovery console, and wont boot normally. In Knoppix I can see that his files are still intact, so it seems it could be that the master boot record is corrupt. Though I'm no stranger to unix, I've never had to run a fdisk or fixmbr equivalent command on them... simply because they just dont have those problems... ever. So, how would I fix his harddrive through the console or otherwise in Knoppix? I'm stumped, and he needs those files.

    Oh yeah, and it didnt recognise the wireless card, so he's without internet atm.
    Can you post the error message you are getting?

    From within linux you can run "fdisk -l /dev/hda" (assuming XP is installed on hda), then check to see system-id of partition on which XP is installed - it should be FAT32/VFAT or NTFS like it. If it is something like "HIDDEN FAT32/VFAT or NTFS" then just run "fdiks /dev/hda" the change the system id of the partition back to original.

    Post the results....Good Luck..

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    hmm....

    Well, none of those worked (could not open/not found/cant write errors), however oddly enough, through some miracle I recieved a different result once I tried to restart the computer again without knoppix. I thought the messages were a little weird, and looked at the bios settings again to see if anything was funky there. Previously everything looked perfectly fine, though now the master wasnt detected, so I entered in all the info needed and tried to restart again, and wouldn't you know it, it worked. It's still running notoriously slow and making the occasional weird noises that sound like something's very close to being fried, but it works well enough for him to back up all his data in case anything like this happens again.

    Of course, knowing his luck I'll be back there very soon with a similar problem.

    Ah well, thanks for the help anyways, just thought I'd follow up on that one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    Reading the following thread might help

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...359&highlight=

    Regards,
    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to repair Windows 2000 boot using Knoppix 4.0.2
    By JungleBoy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
  2. MAster boot record problem
    By d54321 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
  3. Searching for boot record from CD/DVD
    By Noiseboy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. Trouble with Master Boot Record and Bootloader
    By frankie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 04:27 PM
  5. Master boot record or Root partition?
    By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 08:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Dell Optiplex 3080 SFF Desktop PC Intel i7-10700 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD Win11 Pro, picture

Dell Optiplex 3080 SFF Desktop PC Intel i7-10700 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD Win11 Pro,

$325.00



12 Gen Intel i7-12700 4.45GHz 12-core CPU picture

12 Gen Intel i7-12700 4.45GHz 12-core CPU

$205.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586 picture

Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586

$149.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99