-
How would I repair the master boot record with knoppix?
My friend's computer (running 2k pro) is having some lovely problems right now; I dont know what he did to it but it refuses to go into the recovery console, and wont boot normally. In Knoppix I can see that his files are still intact, so it seems it could be that the master boot record is corrupt. Though I'm no stranger to unix, I've never had to run a fdisk or fixmbr equivalent command on them... simply because they just dont have those problems... ever. So, how would I fix his harddrive through the console or otherwise in Knoppix? I'm stumped, and he needs those files.
Oh yeah, and it didnt recognise the wireless card, so he's without internet atm.
-
Re: How would I repair the master boot record with knoppix?

Originally Posted by
Ripshaft
My friend's computer (running 2k pro) is having some lovely problems right now; I dont know what he did to it but it refuses to go into the recovery console, and wont boot normally. In Knoppix I can see that his files are still intact, so it seems it could be that the master boot record is corrupt. Though I'm no stranger to unix, I've never had to run a fdisk or fixmbr equivalent command on them... simply because they just dont have those problems... ever. So, how would I fix his harddrive through the console or otherwise in Knoppix? I'm stumped, and he needs those files.
Oh yeah, and it didnt recognise the wireless card, so he's without internet atm.
Can you post the error message you are getting?
From within linux you can run "fdisk -l /dev/hda" (assuming XP is installed on hda), then check to see system-id of partition on which XP is installed - it should be FAT32/VFAT or NTFS like it. If it is something like "HIDDEN FAT32/VFAT or NTFS" then just run "fdiks /dev/hda" the change the system id of the partition back to original.
Post the results....Good Luck..
-
hmm....
Well, none of those worked (could not open/not found/cant write errors), however oddly enough, through some miracle I recieved a different result once I tried to restart the computer again without knoppix. I thought the messages were a little weird, and looked at the bios settings again to see if anything was funky there. Previously everything looked perfectly fine, though now the master wasnt detected, so I entered in all the info needed and tried to restart again, and wouldn't you know it, it worked. It's still running notoriously slow and making the occasional weird noises that sound like something's very close to being fried, but it works well enough for him to back up all his data in case anything like this happens again.
Of course, knowing his luck I'll be back there very soon with a similar problem.
Ah well, thanks for the help anyways, just thought I'd follow up on that one.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Reading the following thread might help
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...359&highlight=
Regards,
Mark
Similar Threads
-
By JungleBoy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
-
By d54321 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
-
By Noiseboy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-14-2005, 07:41 PM
-
By frankie in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2005, 04:27 PM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R430 4-LFF / 2-SSD Server 2.30Ghz 24-Core 32GB RAM + 400GB SSDs
$648.95

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95