Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: microsoft v.s. linux the dispute

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
    I can be, if I want to be, and Chris-Harry, I'm a she not a he - hence my sig is "Ms. Cuddles"
    opps, sorry... me mistake.. Please dont hit me...
    Hmmmmm, as in the words of Chris-Harry: I dont get mad, I get even MMMMuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa

    Ms. Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    MMMMuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa
    so, by the laugh... you like to be evil? (and try to take over the world)...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    hey chris-harry ... I hope your coding is tighter than your proof reading!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cairns, Australia
    Posts
    23
    Well I didn't read the WHOLE thread but lets put it this way - I'm not giving Bill any more of my money, ever again. And to Chris, keep at it, you add an interesting element to this forum. We're not all coder geeks. (ok we're all geeks but not necessarily coder geeks)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    7
    I make much of my living supporting M$ systems and networks, but use linux exclusively in the process. Sometimes knoppix, but other distros (both live & HD-installed) as well.

    I prefer the "feel" of working in the linux distributions when it comes to various tasks. Eventually, M$ manages to integrate some of the things I like about working in linux, at least in some respects. This seems to go against any notion of M$ being the Great Innovator, ripped-off by others.

    I also like various things about a few M$ operating systems and applications, but when given the option, I prefer a linux environment for most tasks. And often there's simply not a M$ equivalent for something I want or need to do.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    7
    Oh, and it's so nice to be able to walk in the office, pop a knoppix (or STD) CD into one of the rack servers, and use it as a workstation all day without having to even consider what it's normally up to.

    Of course, I wouldn't pull one off production for this task.

    But it gives me portable juice for when I'm on the road supporting my customers and don't want to have to worry about whether the customer site has whatever tools I need.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    hey chris-harry ... I hope your coding is tighter than your proof reading!
    its a bit better, because it aint english...

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    7
    I returned from the field this afternoon and was told by a sales guy that the boss had seen knoppix running on a system I was using this morning. Reportedly, the boss was "p|$$'d off" that I was using something that we can't sell.

    Puzzling. heh

    First off, I'm quite certain I can sell linux systems to our customers. Half of them already use it, and we're just not making a dime of that business, because we're not bothering to sell it.

    Secondly, even if it's not part of our product line, why on earth would that prevent me from using it to achieve some technical objective in the office? We don't sell pencils, either, but I've used pencils this very day.

    I think much of the anti-linux sentiment encountered is simply misguided. But then again I also feel that at least a healthy bit of the anti-M$ sentiment is at least religious in nature.

    I prefer to be more of a pragmatist about such matters.

    At the office, I'd fired up a knoppix system because it was needed this morning. At the coffee shop last night, I had to boot up Windows on my laptop because knoppix doesn't make good use of my Linksys wireless NIC.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Send your boss this link
    http://www.cio.com/archive/070105/cendant.html
    90% cost savings will give him something to think about.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Send your boss this link
    http://www.cio.com/archive/070105/cendant.html
    90% cost savings will give him something to think about.
    He would consider sharing such a link with him argumentative and go ballistic on me. I'm a Network Engineer, and a stupid/lazy American at that, so if I dare to express an opinion or suggest that I'm capable of learning from anywhere other than at his feet, I'm stepping out of line.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 02:05 PM
  2. Microsoft Invaders
    By your_breakfast in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 11:47 AM
  3. Microsoft-Linux!(MS-Linux)
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM
  4. Wireless USB Microsoft MN-510
    By grandb in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 07:58 PM
  5. Good use for Microsoft??
    By Stephen in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99