so, by the laugh... you like to be evil? (and try to take over the world)...MMMMuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa
Hmmmmm, as in the words of Chris-Harry: I dont get mad, I get evenOriginally Posted by chris-harry
MMMMuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa
Ms. Cuddles
so, by the laugh... you like to be evil? (and try to take over the world)...MMMMuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa
hey chris-harry ... I hope your coding is tighter than your proof reading!
Well I didn't read the WHOLE thread but lets put it this way - I'm not giving Bill any more of my money, ever again. And to Chris, keep at it, you add an interesting element to this forum. We're not all coder geeks. (ok we're all geeks but not necessarily coder geeks)![]()
I make much of my living supporting M$ systems and networks, but use linux exclusively in the process. Sometimes knoppix, but other distros (both live & HD-installed) as well.
I prefer the "feel" of working in the linux distributions when it comes to various tasks. Eventually, M$ manages to integrate some of the things I like about working in linux, at least in some respects. This seems to go against any notion of M$ being the Great Innovator, ripped-off by others.
I also like various things about a few M$ operating systems and applications, but when given the option, I prefer a linux environment for most tasks. And often there's simply not a M$ equivalent for something I want or need to do.
Oh, and it's so nice to be able to walk in the office, pop a knoppix (or STD) CD into one of the rack servers, and use it as a workstation all day without having to even consider what it's normally up to.
Of course, I wouldn't pull one off production for this task.
But it gives me portable juice for when I'm on the road supporting my customers and don't want to have to worry about whether the customer site has whatever tools I need.
its a bit better, because it aint english...hey chris-harry ... I hope your coding is tighter than your proof reading!
I returned from the field this afternoon and was told by a sales guy that the boss had seen knoppix running on a system I was using this morning. Reportedly, the boss was "p|$$'d off" that I was using something that we can't sell.
Puzzling. heh
First off, I'm quite certain I can sell linux systems to our customers. Half of them already use it, and we're just not making a dime of that business, because we're not bothering to sell it.
Secondly, even if it's not part of our product line, why on earth would that prevent me from using it to achieve some technical objective in the office? We don't sell pencils, either, but I've used pencils this very day.
I think much of the anti-linux sentiment encountered is simply misguided. But then again I also feel that at least a healthy bit of the anti-M$ sentiment is at least religious in nature.
I prefer to be more of a pragmatist about such matters.
At the office, I'd fired up a knoppix system because it was needed this morning. At the coffee shop last night, I had to boot up Windows on my laptop because knoppix doesn't make good use of my Linksys wireless NIC.
Send your boss this link
http://www.cio.com/archive/070105/cendant.html
90% cost savings will give him something to think about.
He would consider sharing such a link with him argumentative and go ballistic on me. I'm a Network Engineer, and a stupid/lazy American at that, so if I dare to express an opinion or suggest that I'm capable of learning from anywhere other than at his feet, I'm stepping out of line.Originally Posted by UnderScore

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
2U AI MINING SERVER 2x Xeon 36 cores 2.3Ghz DDR4 2x NVIDIA V100 GPU PCIe 2PS USA
$799.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY.
$49.99