Please upload it somewhere or drop me a mail to [email protected].Originally Posted by chris_Xnest
Hi there, Knoppixers
I'm a Knoppix user and, as a perfection-bent user that I am, I see an aspect that might be perfectioned.
I'm talking about the to-hd install (aka "poor man's install"). For God's sake, isn't this supposed to be resulting in an independent bootable partition ? Because as far as I know the only result is a useless non-bootable partition which can't be booted without the CD in the drive or a floppy.
See, I don't know about others, but I got used to a boot manager that can also partition the HD and can boot any partition I want out of more than 200 possible on a HDD. With this one, it's very embarassing to not be able to have an independent Knoppix partition which be bootable, without the need of the Knoppix floppies or the CD itself.
I've been thinking about this and I discovered that the to-hd can be made using syslinux, and the result is a perfect imitation of the Knoppix CD boot process, an independent bootable partition that can be directly booted.
I put up a script to do all this, with nice dialogs for selecting the partition and copying the CD to it. If anybody is interested in this script, just gimme a reply to this topic. I can send it by email to anyone, maybe somobody will even post it on a server, to be accessible for everyone.
B'bye ...
Please upload it somewhere or drop me a mail to [email protected].Originally Posted by chris_Xnest
yes indeed, please put it somewhere. PLEEES, it would be great.
OK, guys, so I see there's some interest in this matter. So tomorrow, the 16th of February 2005, I'll try and send this script to Fabian for testing and maybe, if it passes the tests he will post it somewhere on the server for everyone to use and enjoy it
Hopefully until tomorrow I will be able to fix some things in it, to make it as flawless as possible
OK guys, I've just sent the script to Fabian, to take a look at it and maybe post it somewhere. I don't have a website, so I don't see other solutions to publish it. So watch this topic for further notiifcations about the future download link.
If someone requests, I can send the script by mail to him.
I dropped you an email via the forum email tool. I'd like to get a hold of a copy of your script and try it out. You can reach me at ryan at isptec dot net
Thanks
I have provided chris_Xnest with hosting for his script. It can be downloaded at the URL below
http://www.symphonyos.com/tohd.sh.gz
Would there be someone out there kind enough to send me a copy of the script that is zipped instead of .gz? I am having trouble opening the .gz file.
Thanks in advance,
James
Me toooooooooo i wanna boot like that too. My boot manager can boot off any number of partitions, but when my knoppix part is selected it just doesn't go ahead.
If the script could be modified not to put the swapfile on the hd it would be great for installing Knoppix to Compact Flash cards.![]()

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$260.00
64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$280.00