-
Junior Member
registered user
Good script - too bad it only uses FAT. Thankfully, I didn't need it to install a bootloader, so I just looked at what it did to figure out how to make Knoppix the OS that booted instead of what I had before.
(Short history: installed trustix, decided it was too "young" to use, started using knoppix instead, and well, I had the right bootloader and all, but it was still trustix' boot files in /dev/hda1...)
Afterwards, I felt kinda stupid for not having figured it out before.
-
toHD install script - for those interested in the idea
Hi there, Knoppixers
The main reason I made this script is because I wanted to have a toHD install able to boot by itself AND lok the same as the original CD BOOT PROCESS..
I used in this purpose the isolinux which is also used by the original CD.
But the main drawback is that isolinux is not able to boot from HD unless the partition is FAT16 - or at least that's what I know at the moment. (If this is not true, someone please let me know, by no means I'm a Linux guru, I have a lot more to learn)
I didn't revisited this topic for quite some time, because I didn't receive any notice about the replies on it, and after some 2 months I see there's been some people reading it.
I intend to maintain this script, and if anyone is interested in anything regarding it, or have some problem with it, they can contact me at this mail address: [email protected]
Someone earlier mentioned something about doing the toHD on a flash card and about swap partitions. Well, my script does not have anything to do with swap partitions (the toHD automatically detects the swap, as far as I know). As for the flash card, I don't think isolinux will agree to boot from it, so it's not gonna work - not with my script.
By the way, I'm currently trying to get up and running a Knoppix remaster with some electronics packages in it (compiled from sources) and some other few more goodies, and I tried to do some improvements to the system. I had to write another script, usable from konqueror's context menu, which mounts automatically an ISO image and opens its contents in another konqueror window.
If anyone is interested in this too, let me know
Good look and enjoy Knoppix. IMO, it's the best Linux ever.
Similar Threads
-
By eslamgm in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
-
By chris-harry in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
-
By jariep in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:10 AM
-
By pnti in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-19-2003, 06:59 PM
-
By aay in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-19-2002, 08:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server
$525.00

Windows Server 2025 Standard Edition - 24 Core License
$238.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w
$238.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19