Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 3COM 3C940 not detected, does work

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    3COM 3C940 not detected, does work

    My 3COM 3C940 NIC is not detected by hwsetup.

    Hwsetup -v -n tells me:
    class: NETWORK
    bus: PCI
    device: eth
    driver: unknown
    desc: 3Com Corporation|unknown device 10b7:1700
    lspci -vvv tells me:
    0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c940 10/100/1000Base-T [Marvell] (rev 12)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. P4P800 Mainboard
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
    Latency: 32 (5750ns min, 7750ns max), Cache Line Size: 0x08 (32 bytes)
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
    Region 0: Memory at ec800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Region 1: I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
    Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)
    Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=1 PME-
    Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
    The network card works if I install the module 'sk98lin'.
    Probably this would be solved if hwsetup would be told to use sk98lin for this PCI ID.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    3C940 undetected

    I am having similar problems - my NIC is not being detected and being new to Linux I am not sure how to add the drivers I downloaded. I have tried to go into the network card install but there isn't an option to select drivers from disk (my USB hd drive). I had downloaded the 3com gigabit Lan drivers from mobo manufacturers site to my usb key drive which is mounted in linux but lost from there.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57
    I hate to break the bad news to you, but that 3Com NIC is the ONLY one I have had trouble with in Fedora, Red Hat and SuSE. Trade it in and get ANYTHING but that, even a 10MPS ISA NIC will be working before the 3COM ever does.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Sorry for an old bump but I found Linux drivers for it. Didn't try them yet. I'll HD reinstall my Knoppix since I have way too many problems with the current one. Hope it will work.

Similar Threads

  1. 3COM Gigabit 3C940 not detected KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN
    By kubikanber in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 04:10 PM
  2. KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN not supported 3COM Gigabit 3C940
    By kubikanber in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 04:01 PM
  3. 3COM Gigabit 3C940 and ADI AD 1985 not detected
    By dmk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 09:40 AM
  4. Network card 3 COM 3C940 not detected
    By alfred in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 05:46 AM
  5. 3Com 3C940
    By howax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Cisco UCS B200 M4 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5GHz = 24C/48T. CPU's Included, No RAM/HD picture

Cisco UCS B200 M4 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5GHz = 24C/48T. CPU's Included, No RAM/HD

$36.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99