Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Getting rid of startup script actions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    Getting rid of startup script actions

    Hello,

    I have used Knoppix for about 2 years now on my hard drive. I periodically update via apt to keep my system up to date and I had not realized there was a knoppix site in sources.list. Recently when I did an update I have all kinds of annoying behavior I woudl like to get rid of. After this, I removed any Knoppix references from sources.list so this cannot happen again, but the damage has been done.

    Some startup script is now active and it rewrites my inetd.conf and fstab each time I boot. The annoying thing is it makes an inetd.conf that activates pop and imap each time which is silly on my computer. Each time I comment them out, they come back the next reboot. I then decided to be clever and installed xinetd to replace inetd. Since knoppix does not touch my xinetd.conf, those two services are no longer started, but now I have a flood of messages about using xinetd.conf and how the changes to inetd.conf are not taking effect. Good, I do not want them! However, I really want rid of these messages during startup and shutdown. I cannot find where this is done. I found the part of knoppix-autoconfig where fstab is rewritten and I have commented this out. What script tries to rewrite inetd.conf?

    Is there a reasonably simple way to get my Knoppix to be more like Debian in terms of booting and where from programs are called? I do not want to install a new Knoppix with the Debian-like option because the system is working pretty well and I don't want to have to reconfigure all my settings. If I am going to reinstalll, I will use a Debian CD but I hope this is not necessary.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    What type of HD install is this (looks like a Knoppix-style). The /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script is not used with the Debian style install.
    You can compensate for some of this using cheatcodes; eg cheatcode 'nofstab' will prevent Knoppix from overwriting your fstab. On a Hd install, cheatcodes are implemented by the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf. Just edit tis file then rerun lilo to implement the changes.
    Apt-get upgrade modifies the system to start every available service by default. Run sysV-init to remove any services you don't want.
    The startup sequence is in /etc/rcS.d, the startup sequence for each runlevel is in the rc file for that runlevel.
    You can check out here: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz for an excellent reference which gives more detail on Linux boot & startup processes.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    The startup sequence is in /etc/rcS.d, the startup sequence for each runlevel is in the rc file for that runlevel. You can check out here: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz for an excellent reference which gives more detail on Linux boot & startup processes.
    Before /etc/rcS.d there is a script in Knoppix which does all the reconfiguring. I can't remember which one it was, whether it was in /etc or in the CD-ROM, and I can't find the reference in this forums.
    I had a similar problem with hostname and the date. No matter what configuration file I had, the script would overwrite it. A search in the Knoppix packages using aptitude, dpkg or similar should make it easy to identify (if you have the linuxtag server in sources.list of course )

    --GN

Similar Threads

  1. how do I run a script on startup
    By monkeyking in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
  2. Help with shell script + startup
    By niXnoob in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:56 AM
  3. Need help with startup script.
    By obsoleto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
  4. Startup script and noscsi
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
  5. Startup Script doesn't run
    By orcslayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion  picture

Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion

$115.00



Commodore 64c Computer System picture

Commodore 64c Computer System

$550.00



Commodore PLA Replacement MOS 906114-01 / PLS100 for C64, SX 64 High Quality USA picture

Commodore PLA Replacement MOS 906114-01 / PLS100 for C64, SX 64 High Quality USA

$12.99