Okay!

Open a terminal wnidow and type

$ sudo knoppix-installer

and you're off to the races!

I've done this in Knoppix only once myself, mind, and I had already partitioned the drive before I started the process. Still, I have the Knoppix Hacks book at hand, and I'm sure all will go well for you.

- k-i should correctly identify your Windows partitions as NTFS. Don't do anything to drive 1, which Linux calls /hda. It will also be /hda1, since the whole drive is one partition.

- disk 2 will be /hdb, so the partitions will be /hdb1, /hdb2, /hdb3.

- the order of Win-swap-Knoppix doesn't matter to Linux, but Win2K might be happier with FAT32 coming first on the drive.

- don't know whether you'll be asked "where do you want Knoppix, where do you want swap?" or whether you'll be asked "how do you want these partitions formatted?" (or, "what kind of filesystem do you want on these partitions?").

- Linux calls FAT32 "vfat".

- Linux swap partitions are always type "swap," so no choices to make there.

- if offered a choice of filesystems for the Knoppix partition, "ext3" will probably be the default, as well as the best choice. It offers more recovery protection than the former standard, ext2. There are several other types, but some will require cheat codes at boot time or maybe even downloading additional kernel modules - ext3 is universal for all of Linux

- there will be configuration changes to make after installation, but when knoppix-install finishes, you should be able to boot from hard drive and choose Windows or Knoppix. The boot screen's timeout may be very short, and the default is likely to be Knoppix, but it should be essentially functional.

Good luck!

-- Ed