Sure, at this screen http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...se=167&slide=1 if you hit F2 or F3 it will give you cheat codes. To boot 2.6 kernel type the following & then hit enter:
knoppix26
Happy New Year all!
I have dabbled with Linux for a few hours at most in the past, but I've now decided to get stuck into it. What with Windows being, er, not that fabulous. Anyway.... I got the Knoppix 3.6 Live CD distro and it always boots into the 2.4.x kernel. I'd like to know if it's possible to boot with the 2.6 Kernel on this distro, and how you do it. I want to do this because I've heard that there are some issues with my wireless card under the 2.4 kernel, and other posts say that they've had more success with the 2.6 version. So how do i boot the 2.6 kernel from the boot screen the CD gives me? Eventually, once i see it all works, I'll install Knoppix onto my Hard drive proper. Can't you tell I'm a n00b, it's probably dead simple....
Thanks in advance.![]()
Sure, at this screen http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...se=167&slide=1 if you hit F2 or F3 it will give you cheat codes. To boot 2.6 kernel type the following & then hit enter:
knoppix26
FWIW, I strongly suspect that including both kernels in Knoppix is causing problems, particularly with wlan drivers. In my experience, it appeared that Knoppix was looking for the driver in the wrong place, and the error appeared to be caused by the effort to create two kernels. For this reason alone (as well as others), I would recommend a Knoppix derivative called Kanotix (www.kanotix.com). It standardizes on the 2.6 kernel, and certainly seems to have much fewer code errors. Also, the developers seem to participate more in eliminating these errors. To be fair, I don't use wireless very often, so I haven't tried it with Kanotix. However, I DO know that I never got it working with Knoppix.Originally Posted by iD:0t
jd
Thanks very much guys!
I'm sure I'll be back with some more easy problems in future.... :P
Thanks very much guys!
I'm sure I'll be back with some more easy problems in future.... :P
That was my experience too, but I never realized that the two kernels coexisting was the problem. In any case, Kanotix rocks!FWIW, I strongly suspect that including both kernels in Knoppix is causing problems, particularly with wlan drivers. In my experience, it appeared that Knoppix was looking for the driver in the wrong place, and the error appeared to be caused by the effort to create two kernels. For this reason alone (as well as others), I would recommend a Knoppix derivative called Kanotix (www.kanotix.com). It standardizes on the 2.6 kernel, and certainly seems to have much fewer code errors. Also, the developers seem to participate more in eliminating these errors. To be fair, I don't use wireless very often, so I haven't tried it with Kanotix. However, I DO know that I never got it working with Knoppix.

*LOT OF 6* SK Hynix 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2400T HMAA8GL7AMR4N-UH Memory RAM
$1380.00
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3000MHz Memory RAM
$120.00
2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99
P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N
$1100.00
RAM Memory Lot 8GB 16GB DDR4 Mixed Speeds Tested & Working
$1470.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
*LOT OF 2* Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V Server Memory RAM M386A8K40CM2-CTD6Q
$460.00
2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17
$3.35
128 GB MICRON (4x32gb) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y DDR4 SERVER MEMORY MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2
$750.00