Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9

    Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

    I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
    I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
    When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
    When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
    Is this right?

    What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

    Rony

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Re: Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucodi
    I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
    I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
    When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
    When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
    Is this right?

    What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

    Rony

    I've the same problem (not only on a laptop) with Knoppix 3.8.1, if i put the home persistent directory image on a FAT32 filesystem all is rigth, but if i put the home persistent directory on e ext2 filesystem it does not work like a persistent directory...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38
    I found that if I type myconfig=scan home=scan, lots of config settings are kept, but it still ain't perfect. The only files that I add to my system that stay permanently, are the ones I add to the desktop. All the others disappear in a mysterious fashion. I've got knoppix on a slave HD as a pmi, and start it using the cd. I'm also horribly new to this so apologies if it seems like the blind are leading the blind.

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Home Directory on DVD
    By jm47048 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:01 AM
  3. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  4. Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
  5. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A picture

Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A

$299.95



Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested

$29.99



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



SK Hynix PC4 2666V DDR4 RAM 32GB Kit (4x 8GB) Desktop RAM picture

SK Hynix PC4 2666V DDR4 RAM 32GB Kit (4x 8GB) Desktop RAM

$67.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00