Take a look at the docs, especially the "cheatcodes".
And uhm, if you have a video problem I would suggest posting about your videocard...
I put the CD in reboot, get Knoppix welcome screen, hit enter I get Tux and the programs starts to load. Shows what it's detected. Then the screen goes blank, light on the keyboard goes out and after a bit the CD stops spining and it just sits there. The USB optical mouse has power, if I move it I can hear the CD spin. No keyboard, black screen.![]()
This is my first attempt with linux. Can anyone help?
TIA
Ken
Knoppix v3.2 2003-03-30
Win XPpro, 2.4 gig Intel, 512 RAM
Take a look at the docs, especially the "cheatcodes".
And uhm, if you have a video problem I would suggest posting about your videocard...
Henk
Thanks for the quick reply. I have looked at the cheatcodes by hitting F2 at the start but not sure what if anything I need to change. I could change to lang=us but would it stop the keyboard from functioning if I didn't?
I don't believe it's a video problem. I have an Nvidia GeForce 4 card. I can see the boot screen.
Try booting with a cheat code of:
boot: knoppix lang=us vga=normal
boot: knoppix lang=us fb800x600
boot: knoppix failsafe
The keyboard still works the light going out would be the num lock key. IIRC KDE starts with the num lock key off by default you have to change a setting for it to be turned on at startup of KDE.
The boot screen is totally different than the video mode that knoppix runs in, it sound like a video problem to me, no video after hardware detection.I can see the boot screen.
What kind of monitor do you have?
rock
Thanks Stephen and Rock,
I'm using 18 flat panel DVI input with 1280x1024 native resolution.
I'll try the cheat settings you suggested. Also understand about the num lock as it goes out as soon as the boot screen starts.
Thanks,
Ken
OK I tried all 3 settings none of them worked vga=normal put the screen into powersaver mode i.e. what happens when I'm not using the computer for a while and changed the boot screen. Keyboard is working, at least the num lock and cap lock lights show when pressing them. So I'm left with 2 theories:Originally Posted by Stephen
1) This build can't deal with digital video input to the monitorIs this a known issue that I missed?
2)I have a corrupt copy of Knoppix.![]()
It did take me 2 tries to get a complete download. The second is the right size 700mg.
I do have the analog input cable that came with the monitor but currently only have the digital cable plugged in.
Ken
did you get the prompt with "knoppix 2" ? If yes, it relates to the XFree86.
Didn't try that one and got no prompt. Just did the ones Stephen listed plus knoppix desktop=kde. I figured that was the default but have no clue as I can't get that far.Originally Posted by garyng
Tried your suggestion but the boot stopped at:
root@tty1[/]# and waited for input. I have none to give! lol Sorry, I am new at this.
That is the command prompt. So it has been confirmed to be XFree86 related. This is the weakest link of linux and quite possible that your monitor is not supported.
What video card you have ?

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00