Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4

    Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Ok, I'll give as much detail upfront.

    I have 1 partition with win98 on it and wanted to be able to explore knoppix without messing with other partitions and get all messy and stuff. So I used the tohd command and I did the following..

    tohd=/dev/hda1

    it worked as expected and booted correctly. However.... I can not change the read/write permission on the hda1 disk. Everytime I right click and select "Actions" then select "Change read/write mode" I get an error about how the drive is already being accessed and it can not change it. This of course is because I am booting from it.

    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on? I tried changing the setting when booting from cd and it works just fine. I saved my config and did "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hda1" at the boot prompt and all my configuration options load normal when i use "fromhd=/dev/hda1" EXCEPT for that the drive still isn't writable.

    What can I do? Any knoppix guru's want to help a newbie?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.
    Here is a case where a partition pointed-at by fromhd= and home= is writeable:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based...ing_GRUB_on_HD

Similar Threads

  1. [Help] Write on poor man's install?
    By victoria in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 03:57 PM
  2. how to enable "CHANGE READ/WRITE MODE" in Knoppix
    By nn_root in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 12:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
  4. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  5. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675) picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)

$125.96



Dell Optiplex 7070 8-Core i7-9700 3.0ghz 8GB DVDRW NO SSD Tower PC Computer picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 8-Core i7-9700 3.0ghz 8GB DVDRW NO SSD Tower PC Computer

$169.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Mac Pro (A1186,

Apple Mac Pro (A1186, "8Core" 2007)Xeon X5365-4GB Ram 1TB HDD OS XLeopard NVIDIA

$274.99



Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS

$199.99