Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can't recover files kde partition

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    Can't recover files kde partition

    I installed dual boot knoppix 3.3 on my laptop. it worked fine for months. The other day boot loader wouldn't work and I got a bunch of 99's I recovered the mbr on the windows partition and have the knoppix cd. The problem is I can't reinstall grub with the cd wont write to hd0. All I can see from the boot cd is hda1an hda2. It is complicated by the fact that the files I want to retrieve on the knoppix partition have have locks on them when booting from the cd. I created a userrname and password on the cd boot to match the hdd install but cant switch to it. The only two files I want have locks on them no others. I created them with audacity. I didn't encrypt them. If I could have access them I could pull them off and back them up. I'm stuck till them

    thanks

    pboodi

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Run as root to access your locked files. To run konqueror as root type"kdesu konqueror". You will need to set a root password first.
    AFAIK there is no hda0; there is just hda (meaning the whole HD) which is divided into hda1, hda2, etc.
    If the HD is now functional (ie you have repaired the MBR), you should be able to get into your knoppix HDinstall and reinstall lilo. See this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16915

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    deleted repeat post, had problems with 'submit'.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    deleted repeat post

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    Thanks crashedagain

    Your post was helpfull, I havent tried the lilo/grub thing yet. Still cant recover files. I loged in to konquer as root with a password I created, (The same as on the hd install) I can now access the files (no locks visible). I have changed both partitions to have read/write access. I can listen to the files but when I try to drag them to the other partition It says theyre not readable. I don't know why.

    Thanks in advance

    pboodi

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Thanks crashedagain

    Quote Originally Posted by pboodi
    Your post was helpfull, I havent tried the lilo/grub thing yet. Still cant recover files. I loged in to konquer as root with a password I created, (The same as on the hd install) I can now access the files (no locks visible). I have changed both partitions to have read/write access. I can listen to the files but when I try to drag them to the other partition It says theyre not readable. I don't know why.

    Thanks in advance

    pboodi
    Sometimes this happens to me too, try edit->copy & paste instead of drag'n'drop.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    thanks crashedagain

    Tried copy and paste that didn't work either. But...................Thank you thank you ..............I found a link in your earlier post. Hard drive install can be started using the cd. I used this method and have recovered my files. Now I'm off to fix the boot loader.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    boot hd install from knoppix cd

    for the benefit of others

    This is how to boot hd install from knoppix cd. knoppix root=/dev/hdaxnoinitrd ro where x= partition of hd install

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    back up and running

    I didnt know it was that simple. ..................boot from cd........with command listed above. ...............from hd install execute lilo and I'm back........

    Thanks crashedagain

    Linux rocks!

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Nedd to recover files
    By kk39shadow in forum General Support
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
  2. Help me recover files
    By Plala in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 06:15 PM
  3. Attempting to recover Windows partition
    By code_orange in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 04:05 AM
  4. Using Knoppix to Recover MAC files?
    By madmike in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
  5. Recover deleted files
    By scrat in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i picture

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i

$699.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



ASUS Blade Server LAN Web Remote Management KVM Module Chip IPMI 2.0 ASMB9-iKVM picture

ASUS Blade Server LAN Web Remote Management KVM Module Chip IPMI 2.0 ASMB9-iKVM

$49.99