Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4

    Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Ok, I'll give as much detail upfront.

    I have 1 partition with win98 on it and wanted to be able to explore knoppix without messing with other partitions and get all messy and stuff. So I used the tohd command and I did the following..

    tohd=/dev/hda1

    it worked as expected and booted correctly. However.... I can not change the read/write permission on the hda1 disk. Everytime I right click and select "Actions" then select "Change read/write mode" I get an error about how the drive is already being accessed and it can not change it. This of course is because I am booting from it.

    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on? I tried changing the setting when booting from cd and it works just fine. I saved my config and did "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hda1" at the boot prompt and all my configuration options load normal when i use "fromhd=/dev/hda1" EXCEPT for that the drive still isn't writable.

    What can I do? Any knoppix guru's want to help a newbie?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.
    Here is a case where a partition pointed-at by fromhd= and home= is writeable:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based...ing_GRUB_on_HD

Similar Threads

  1. [Help] Write on poor man's install?
    By victoria in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 03:57 PM
  2. how to enable "CHANGE READ/WRITE MODE" in Knoppix
    By nn_root in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 12:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
  4. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  5. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i picture

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i

$699.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Nutanix Supermicro NXS2U2NL12G600  2x Node with Motherboards, Backplanes, & More picture

Nutanix Supermicro NXS2U2NL12G600 2x Node with Motherboards, Backplanes, & More

$450.00



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038ML-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038ML-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$134.99