Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4

    Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Ok, I'll give as much detail upfront.

    I have 1 partition with win98 on it and wanted to be able to explore knoppix without messing with other partitions and get all messy and stuff. So I used the tohd command and I did the following..

    tohd=/dev/hda1

    it worked as expected and booted correctly. However.... I can not change the read/write permission on the hda1 disk. Everytime I right click and select "Actions" then select "Change read/write mode" I get an error about how the drive is already being accessed and it can not change it. This of course is because I am booting from it.

    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on? I tried changing the setting when booting from cd and it works just fine. I saved my config and did "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hda1" at the boot prompt and all my configuration options load normal when i use "fromhd=/dev/hda1" EXCEPT for that the drive still isn't writable.

    What can I do? Any knoppix guru's want to help a newbie?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.
    Here is a case where a partition pointed-at by fromhd= and home= is writeable:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based...ing_GRUB_on_HD

Similar Threads

  1. [Help] Write on poor man's install?
    By victoria in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 03:57 PM
  2. how to enable "CHANGE READ/WRITE MODE" in Knoppix
    By nn_root in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 12:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
  4. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  5. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is picture

(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is

$170.00



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT picture

Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT

$7250.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware picture

Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware

$649.00



DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$100.00



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5) picture

VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5)

$69.99