Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4

    Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Ok, I'll give as much detail upfront.

    I have 1 partition with win98 on it and wanted to be able to explore knoppix without messing with other partitions and get all messy and stuff. So I used the tohd command and I did the following..

    tohd=/dev/hda1

    it worked as expected and booted correctly. However.... I can not change the read/write permission on the hda1 disk. Everytime I right click and select "Actions" then select "Change read/write mode" I get an error about how the drive is already being accessed and it can not change it. This of course is because I am booting from it.

    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on? I tried changing the setting when booting from cd and it works just fine. I saved my config and did "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hda1" at the boot prompt and all my configuration options load normal when i use "fromhd=/dev/hda1" EXCEPT for that the drive still isn't writable.

    What can I do? Any knoppix guru's want to help a newbie?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick889
    Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?
    No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.
    Here is a case where a partition pointed-at by fromhd= and home= is writeable:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based...ing_GRUB_on_HD

Similar Threads

  1. [Help] Write on poor man's install?
    By victoria in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 03:57 PM
  2. how to enable "CHANGE READ/WRITE MODE" in Knoppix
    By nn_root in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 12:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
  4. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  5. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00