-
Senior Member
registered user
All going very wrong!
I'm trying to install 3.6 after my HD install of 3.4 bit the dust after trying to put the latest version of Gimp on: yes folks, I got pangoed!
So, I'm trying to put 3.6 on with a 2.6 kernel using knoppix installer (I'd have much sooner used knx-hdinstaller, but it simply isn't there anymore).
I've 3 HDs. hdd is simply an old SuSE install which I have lying about in case I need to grab stuff off it. hda has multi-media stuff on it, but no OS. It's ext3, although sometimes Linux disagrees. hdc1 has/had everything except my /home partition on it. /home is hdc3.
So, naturally, I want to install 3.6 onto hdc1.
I figure we put Lilo onto hdc1 and boot from that, eh?
Before anything, I run fsck:
fsck /dev/hdc1
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
/dev/hdc1: clean, 127879/1831424 files, 606396/3662812 blocks
fsck /dev/hdc3
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
/dev/hdc3 has been mounted 68 times without being checked, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/hdc3: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/hdc3: 61602/13189120 files (3.9% non-contiguous), 21567067/26370697 blocks
OK, on with the show!
su
knoppix-installer
Choose the beginner mode, edit /root/.knoconf with vim (as su) to use grub rather than Lilo.
Disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a valid partition table
Disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a valid partition table
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./Ethereal.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./EtherealAsRoot.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./qtparted.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applnk/./Settings/Peripherals/kxconfig.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
Name change: '/dev/cloop0' -> '/dev/cloop'
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
184 inodes, 1440 blocks
72 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
184 inodes per group
Writing inode tables: 0/1
Could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 13: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
Ignoring entry 'boot'
Ignoring entry 'install'
Ignoring entry 'map'
Warning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systems
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
Name change: '/dev/cloop0' -> '/dev/cloop'
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.
Added Linux *
Added Linux(2.4)-1
Added Linux(2.6)-2
Added Windows(sda1)
umount: /mnt/hdinstall/floppy: not mounted
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#
Ideas are welcome -- now I'll reboot and see what the results are! I'm not optimistic!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Ah, despite all the pessimism, this time it worked just fine. Strangely, it's booting through Lilo, but what the hell. Now, all I have to do is mount /home, get rid of user knoppix, apt-get update && apt-get install all the multimedia stuff (anyone know the url for maralliat?) and bob's yer uncle.
Similar Threads
-
By slp44 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 01:23 AM
-
By mikejn1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM
-
By Jera in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 07-17-2004, 07:53 AM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40

NEW OEM Dell Battery Latitude 5430 7330 Rugged Extreme 53.5Wh 11.4V 06JRCP XVJNP
$99.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$36.99

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515
$22.00

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY
$32.99