-
Which Linux for OLD computer?
I have a compaq armada which is 266 MHz and has 64 MB of ram.
I have run knoppix 3.3 and 3.4 on it as a poor mans install. It runs very slowly and is barely useable.
I have Win ME on it which runs smoothly and is perfectly useable.
Could someone please let me know of a linux distro which would run nicely on this and is kept
up to date.
live CD or install
I ideally want it to have Kismet on it and if poss aircrack and weplab.
Thank you for your help
-
Which GUI are you using? I can run reasonably well if I use xfce instead of KDE (default). You may want to remaster/reconfigure your Linux to run only with the essential pieces.
--GN
-
I ideally dont want to have to mess around with too much. getting to know linux on an old comp
makes it a lot harder.
I think i have tried all desktops that come with the knoppix live cd they all seemed to drag it down to
much.
If i do an install to the hard disk will it make much difference in performance?
-
Senior Member
registered user
See this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17000 where I mention Debian. The default Debian Sarge install is about 350MB. You could install xfce, windowmaker, or icewm as they are low resource usage window managers. As for low resource usages applications, look to Damn Small Linux to provide examples.
-

Originally Posted by
Kumagoro
If i do an install to the hard disk will it make much difference in performance?
Yes, CDs are a lot slower than HD, especially in old hardware.
--GN
-
Thanks for the replies.
I will have a go at a proper hdd install of damn small linux seeing as if i do
a total knoppix install it will take 2+ GB
Similar Threads
-
By notepares in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-10-2005, 01:25 AM
-
By Kram in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-25-2004, 03:04 AM
-
By markleong in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 06:39 PM
-
By Chriroz in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 06:47 PM
-
By god in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Lot of 15 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets for Parts
$338.63

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM
$99.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00