-
A couple of great games
Sersiously, what good is a live operating system that people will try out to see if they like linux without some awesome games?
My suggestions:
www.cubeengine.com The open source first person terrain generator (Like quake2, except better)
AND in the future when it's supported by some servers and perhaps a couple versions ahead:
www.sourceforge.net/projects/namc the open source MUD (MMORPG) client based on CUBE (above) to make (muds) truely fully immersive 3d experiences.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Unfortunately, older versions of Knoppix had a lot more games, they have been casualities as the Kernel gerw and there were other "needs" for space. It's a real shame, there were a lot of nice games in some of the early versions of 3.1 that are gone now, and I haven't seen them resurface on the different "game" releases either.
I don't know about the "cube" games that you mention, but since you deer the comparison to Quake 2 I can't imagine that they are very small. Personally I like FPS games a lot, but I expect that the game you are talking about is much larger than all of the games that were removed combined. Personally I think it would be better to include a number of good small games than one large FPS (even if it could be made to fit), and leave the larger games for dedicated games disks. Of course, I could be wrong about the size, nut I still miss the games that were removed from 3.1.
-
Cube's Size
actually cube is very small compared to quake 2. the packages (levels and stuff) are only 20mb total ( all the levels are gzip'd before they're written to the disk, so about 20-100kb each depending on size ), while the program itself is about 3mb compiled. It's really a fun game, much better than chromium and tux racer (in my opinion). And it runs on old computers as well as new computers very well, with lots of eye candy.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
20 megs is actually pretty big. And while compressing the data is generally a positive thing, that the data is compressed here is not a positive factor as far as Knoppix is concerned. Knoppix uses it's own compression to produce the CD and fit about 2 gig of software on a 700 meg CD. Since the cube game will likely not compress further, this game would take up as much space on the CD as 50-60 meg of other games.
From what you say of it I would like to see it and hope that someone does include it on a Live CD game disk. I do think the wide range of games removed since 3.1 would be a better choice for adding games back into Knoppix though.
Similar Threads
-
By chris-harry in forum Games
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-15-2005, 04:34 AM
-
By GFBurke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-31-2005, 06:09 AM
-
By Anathema in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 02:48 AM
-
By stv in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:13 PM
-
By lrf in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-04-2003, 05:11 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00