I'd like to rebuild the kernel and 'initrd' for a Knoppix 3.8 (specifically, I would like to build a 2.6 kernel with HZ set to 100, and compile for '586 opcodes).
I tried installing a Knoppix 3.8 system to disk, 'apt-get update', 'apt-get install synaptic', installing the kernel source, 'make oldconf', and following my nose; eventually I got as far as a 'vmlinuz' which I put on the CD in place of the 'linux' file in the isolinux directory.
But when I booted the thing (with qemu under Windows), I got a complaint that it could not load 'cloop', as a consequence could not mount 'KNOPPIX', and I got dropped into the (very) limited function maintenance shell.
What should I do ?
I take it that I don't really need to remake the 'initrd'; the existing one should work just fine for my purposes. But if I did want to remake the 'initrd', what would I do for that ?

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99
NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00
Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00
HP ProLiant 460 Series G7 Blade 2x Xeon E5649 2.53Ghz w/ 16Gb DR3, No HD, QTY
$74.99
Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60